FORUMS: list search recent posts

dynamic link, about as fast as rendering video and placing it in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Coan
dynamic link, about as fast as rendering video and placing it in Premiere
on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:23:16 pm

So when I first started using DL in my Premiere project, about a month ago, it was nice. It updated the edited files from After Effects quickly, and it could play those files, low quality real-time. Now, it really cannot play them at all, and when I render in Premiere to get a real-time preview, the rendering takes something like 10 minutes for about a minute of footage.

Granted, my after effects comps are sometimes comprised of multiple pre-comps with HD footage in many of them. I figured that if my comp had been RAM Previewed, it would save that file so that Premiere had access to simply play it. At this point, it is like, I may as well render a video file from AE and reload in Prem.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or alternatives?

Moderation in all, and all is relative.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: dynamic link, about as fast as rendering video and placing it in Premiere
on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:37:42 pm

If you have a un-rendered AE comp linked through DL in Premiere you will need to render it either before in AE and replace the linked file with it or use Premiere to render. If when exporting from AE, you have "Project Link" checked, even after you add the rendered AE movie to the timeline, you can open the AE project by selecting "Edit Original" in Premiere. The idea is to be able to be able to go back and forth when you change something in the edit - real time preview for complex AE comps is still a thing of the future.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: dynamic link, about as fast as rendering video and placing it in Premiere
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:41:49 pm

[Patrick Coan] "Granted, my after effects comps are sometimes comprised of multiple pre-comps with HD footage in many of them. I figured that if my comp had been RAM Previewed, it would save that file so that Premiere had access to simply play it. At this point, it is like, I may as well render a video file from AE and reload in Prem."

Rendering with Project Link enabled as Tudor suggests is a very good idea. As he said, you get to keep the benefit of easy access to the Ae project; I'll add that a file like this is manageable with Pr's Project Manager while linked AEPs are not.

When Premiere encounters a dynamically-linked Ae comp in a sequence, it asks an invisible Ae renderer for each frame. If Ae can't render the comp in real-time, Pr can't play it in real time.

If you are using CS6, you could also use the new cache features to speed up dynamic link in cases like this. In Ae, use Ctrl-Enter or Composition > Cache Composition in the Background. Instead of rendering each frame from scratch on the fly, the invisible Ae renderer can pull frames from the disk cache. (Note that the Ae disk cache loves a fast drive; I recommend an SSD.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]