FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting After Effects to Recognize More Ram

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Ripka
Getting After Effects to Recognize More Ram
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:34:19 pm

I just installed 32GB of RAM on my computer. When I go to render it stating that I am only using 4% of the total RAM. How can I get After Effects to increase the percentage of RAM used on CS6?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Getting After Effects to Recognize More Ram
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:45:40 pm

AE may not HAVE to use any more ram than 4% of the total.

But it's difficult to say authoritatively due to lack of information. Check out the following link to provide that information:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Getting After Effects to Recognize More Ram
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:54:28 pm

Where, exactly, are you seeing this 4% value? It's likely not telling you what you think it is. Just paying attention to how much RAM the foreground application is using tells you very little, since it's the background rendering processes that are consuming most of the RAM when you're rendering.

Also, as Dave says, the goal is not to use all of your RAM; the goal is to render fast and well. If RAM isn't the bottleneck (e.g., because you're rendering something that is computationally expensive and thus the CPU is what's being taxed), then some other part of your system is working flat out while your RAM is not much needed.

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]