FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry 3D Vector

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Schoenfeld
Blurry 3D Vector
on Jan 7, 2013 at 7:52:24 pm

Hi All,

I've read a few posts on this subject, but still haven't found a definite solution. I have a simple vector (from Illustrator) shape in a 720p comp. I've turned on the 'Collapse Transform' button and the shape is crystal clear sharp. I can scale it however and it still remains so. However, when I turn on 3D it goes blurry. It's not extreme, but it's noticeable. I've gone into 'Interpret Footage' and changed the Antialiasing to 'More Accurate' but to no avail. The preview is set to 'Off (Final Quality)' and I'm working in CS6.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Blurry 3D Vector
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:13:28 pm

Check the 3D camera to see if Depth of Field is enabled.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Schoenfeld
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:22:41 pm

Some additional info:

There is no camera. I'm working on a macbook 2GHz with 4GB on os 10.6.8. The comp is 720x1280 and only has two layers; a white solid background layer and the Illustrator layer. The Illustrator shape is set to 100% for the size and my preview is at 100%. Everything looks great until I switch on 3D and then it goes blurry.

Also, when I render out the comp (both with 3D checked and unchecked) the layer still ends up blurry when 3D is checked.

I've probably had this happened before, but just now noticing.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:34:50 pm

Very strange.

Are you using the classic 3D renderer, or the ray-tracing 3D renderer? Could it be motion blur?

Can you post a screenshot or a project file?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Schoenfeld
on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:14:09 pm

Thanks for the help. I think I've found the issue. When checking the scale of the AI file I was actually looking at the opacity. The file was scaled to 300% and, after resizing it in Illustrator and then importing back into After Effects, I discovered that it was the rescaling which was causing it to go blurry. But why wouldn't a vector be able to scale?

Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:55:48 pm

You need to enable the continuous rasterization toggle. It looks like a little sun.

Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jason Schoenfeld
on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:22:35 pm

Thanks John for the help. I have continuously rasterize checked and everything is good until I scale it and then make it 3D. The only way it does not go blurry is if I leave the vector scale at 100%. If I scale it up (or down) and then check 3d it goes slightly blurry. Renderer is classic and motion blur is off.

I've concluded that as long as I don't scale the vector I won't lose any sharpness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]