FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Short Film

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Warren
Workflow for Short Film
on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:02:45 pm

I have a client that produces short films. He shot his current project using a Red camera and has layed out a rough edit on his PC using Premiere CS6(he will be doing most of the editing on his pc).

I am doing all of his VFX and compositing using After Effects. I would prefer to do all my work at my home on my machine and am curious as to how some of you guys handle projects. Because of the larger file sizes I copied only the files I need for each FX sequence as well as his project file onto a hard drive and plan to work on each section separately. So I suppose my question is what is the best way to bring the media back once I have done all of my compositing? Should I export new versions of the clips he uses in his timeline and replace them? Should I export 1 final clip for each section/sequence? Plus we will be doing quite a bit of color correction to the entire project.

How do you guys handle a situation where someone is doing the editing on one machine and someone else is doing the vfx on another? Should I just copy the entire massive project+all media files?

"You are the universe experiencing itself"
ChrisW
http://www.azprovideo.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Workflow for Short Film
on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:56:23 pm

There are several ways to approach a project like this. I currently work on a film with a friend in the US and I just finish all fx, render them and then use Dropbox to transfer them. E-mail and Skype are essential in communication. In your situation I would mirror all material and update the edit as many times as it is adjusted by the editor. This way you are up to date and can use Dynamic link to work on the fx. Depending on what you use for color grade, this may be the best way also for grading.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:12:17 pm

You can pass project files if you're using the same version, and link whatever files you are working on. The rest can lie empty, no problem.

However, since your file sizes are large, and if you have a hands-on editor, then you might want to look into Adobe Creative Cloud, which is specially designed for scenarios such as yours.

Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:55:05 pm

As a note, Creative Cloud doesn't have many tools for collaboration yet. The best it would have in this scenario is if they took advantage of some of the cloud storage and even then it's only one-way sharing unless they both sign up for creative cloud teams.

Dropbox would be far more robust for this, I believe.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:18:25 pm

1. Get updated project files from him when you can through email, dropbox, whatever.
2. Use these projects as a basis for your AE comps, ignore the huge amounts of media offline warnings I'm sure you'll get.
3. Work on your effects.
4. Render out and send over the internet low resolution copies of just the shots (not sequences) that have VFX for him to place into his edits as place holders. He can also review the effect and give notes.
5. Set up meeting times to exchange/copy full res versions of your effects so you can deliver as the project goes along, or do the exchange near the end of the project.

Color correct to match elements in the composites, but do not add a "look". The color grading workflow should be handled after your work unless you are on an insane schedule.

Don't try to do dynamic link or any fanciness... it will balloon the project file if both of you are working on it hand over fist, and it will generally complicate what is a pretty easy workflow.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Chris Warren
on Jan 7, 2013 at 6:12:50 pm

Thanks guys this confirms what I had planned to do, so at least I know my thinking was along the right lines. He happens to live fairly close so I can pop by when I need to.

"You are the universe experiencing itself"
ChrisW
http://www.azprovideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]