FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing with ProRes 4444 log space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvin Bautista
Compositing with ProRes 4444 log space
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:26:36 am

Hey all, I feel stupid in this being the first time I've worked in this situation but I wanna make sure I do it right after having done some research around here.

I have to composite some shots in AfterEffects and I was given ProRes 4444 files in Log space. The compositing work is pretty simple (like muzzle flashes).

As usual, the color brought into AE is washed out. I put the Cineon converter effect on it and convert log to linear (also working in 32-bit mode). It looks okay now.

What else do I need to do in order to work with the rest of the effects (like the muzzle flash stock image I use will be 8-bit) to ensure that the exported file I deliver will be in the exact format they gave me (ProRes 4444 in Log space)?

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Compositing with ProRes 4444 log space
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:17:14 pm

[Arvin Bautista] "What else do I need to do in order to work with the rest of the effects (like the muzzle flash stock image I use will be 8-bit) to ensure that the exported file I deliver will be in the exact format they gave me (ProRes 4444 in Log space)?"

I'd reverse the log/linear transformation on an adjustment layer or precomp once you've applied all your effects before render.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Arvin Bautista
on Dec 17, 2012 at 5:17:20 pm

Thanks! When I do the log to linear conversion the first time around, should I have that as an adjustment layer and do my compositing under that, or do I just apply it to the source footage and do the effects on top of it?

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:36:20 am

[Arvin Bautista] "Thanks! When I do the log to linear conversion the first time around, should I have that as an adjustment layer and do my compositing under that, or do I just apply it to the source footage and do the effects on top of it?"

Don't use the log to linear conversion on adjustment layer, unless ALL the footage under the layer is log.

I think it's far more straight-forward to convert your log to linear, work as you normally would, then convert the entire composite back to log as the footage began.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]