FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ratio & Frame Rate Composition/Export Settings - Need Advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Everard
Ratio & Frame Rate Composition/Export Settings - Need Advice
on Dec 16, 2012 at 5:41:45 pm

Hi

I have a few technical questions regarding After effects & premiere. Im finalizing my brothers wedding video which contains motion graphics imported from AE and video mainly in Premiere CS5.

I bought some animations to use in with the video for photography montages. These files have different composition settings to my main sequence in premiere. Ive set premiere up to match my filmed footage and i now want to export the animations out at as lossless quality as possible and into premiere for one export of all content to DVD.

This is where my knowledge stops and hopefully your expertise can come in. I understand in some cases importing compositions that have a different ratio and frame rate to the main file can affect the overall quality of the footage. So If you can offer some advice and recommendations on settings it will help me out alot and im happy to share the AE files if needed.

You can see them here....

http://www.revostock.com/After-Effects-Project/106420/SNAPSHOT.htm

http://www.revostock.com/After-Effects-Project/434520/Slides-As-Time-Goes-B...

Premiere project setup:

HDV 1080P 25
1440 x 1080v
aspect ratio: 1.333
25fps

Filmed Footage:

1440 x 1080
25fps

AE Animation 1: Projector slides

HDV 1080P 25
1440 x 1081
square pixels
29.97fps

AE Animation 2: Polaroid Montage

HDV 1080P 29.97
1920 x 1081
square pixels
29.97fps

The 3 things that are differing here is frame rate, size and ratio.

Im happy that Animation 2 is slightly bigger. Thats fine it isn't a problem in terms of the crop in premiere.

1. Am i supposed to take these change "square pixels" for the AE composition/export to match Premiere? (if i set it to 1.333 and size down to 1440 in AE its squashes the content and it doesn't look right.

2. I've made a mistake by not matching the frame rates up and have already done a draft export and edited the content in premiere. This was with the mind that once the edit was complete, i would then export from AE again to a higher resolution and replace the footage. Do i need to change the frame rate to match, and if i do will it effect the timing of my edit?

3. Lastly what setup should i render these compositions out as so i dont lose any quality, and if you could give me any advice on advanced settings like field render and any settings for the DVD burn that might help that would be great.

Let me know if anyone can help. Thank you very much & merry christmas

Jack

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Ratio & Frame Rate Composition/Export Settings - Need Advice
on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:38:18 am

A few things to clarify:

Your final delivery - from your post I take it that it is on DVD format. Will that be a NTSC (29.97 fps) or PAL (25fps) for playback on a regular DVD player? Or are you planning on a BluRay 1440x1080 output on DVD (yes you can burn BluRay files on a regular DVD and play them back on a BluRay player)?

Animation 1- you say it's 1080p 25 but then you mention a 29.97 frame rate- which one is it?

As far as the AE projects- change the Composition format (Composition Settings) to match the Premiere settings for frame rate, size and pixel aspect ratio. You can also change these in the Render Settings.

If you have a mac and can use ProRes- that would be a good way to go, if not, QT Animation is a decent uncompressed codec but it delivers large files.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jack Everard
on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:46:09 am

Hi Ted

Thanks for responding much appreciated.

1. It will be PAL (25fps) playback for regular DVD

2. The composition is setup to "1080p 25" but i can also alter the frame rate. I would like to keep it at 29.97 if possible to avoid changes in my edit. but if that will affect the quality of the content then i would prefer to change it.

3. Also will exporting as square pixels into premiere sequence (1.333) compromise the content?

Thanks for advice on export format.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:32:53 pm

If you bring a 29.97 clip in a 25 fps Sequence, Premiere deals with it and manages to give you a decent result. However it is best if you re-render at 25 fps and replace your footage- it should not alter your cut.
For regular DVD PAL you will need to export a 720x576 Widescreen pixel aspect ratio @25fps.
If you are planning to use Encore to Master the DVD, then export your 1440x1080 and bring that in Encore and let it deal with the compression. If you plan to export straight from AE, then don't. Depending on what version of AE you have you can either send to Encoder (CS6 and up) or open a AE comp in Encoder and render from there using a mpeg2 DVD preset.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jack Everard
on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:51:25 pm

Hi Ted

Thanks for the information. i am now using 25fps, exporting the animation out (QT animation) at 1440 x 1080, then importing into 1440 x 1080 premiere sequence with other edited footage. And finally exporting all out at 720 x 576 widescreen mpeg2 for encore dvd mastering. (i found some good premiere export settings on another post)

is that correct or do you mean export content from premiere at full res lossless and compress it down to 720 x 576 from encore instead?

i only have CS5 so i wont be able to send it straight to the encoder. Handy to know though for future use,

thanks

Jack

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:37:07 am

In CS5 you can queue renders from Premiere in Encoder, but if you're using Encore, here's a few links to help you understand the workflow using Dynamic Link:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-encore-cs5/streamlining-your-workflow-with-...

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/the-dvd-authoring-workflow

http://lacoloronline.com/blog/?10176-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-and-Encore-Outputin...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jack Everard
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:34:03 am

Hi Ted

Great i'll check those links out later tonight. Many thanks for the information, its been really helpful.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Jack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]