FORUMS: list search recent posts

cross-fade query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
cross-fade query
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:47:01 pm

Hi there

---- have a spotlight effect on a background made by animating a circular mask applied to a black solid.

As the 'spotlight gets larger the edges soften and the opacity decreases to zero ( ie the effect fades off ) .

The problem I am 'seeing' is that as the effect fades off the mix flickers however I am not sure if this will actually be like that when rendered. ( project is set at 16 bpc and 32 bpc does not solve this anyway )

Its hard for me to evaluate this as I do not have and interlaced viewing monitor at the moment.

Two queries if anyone can comment please,

Q1 ) -- anyone seen this flickering before and is it anything to worry about ?

Q2 ) -- can anyone recommend a low-cost interlaced viewing monitor please ?

-------------- chris brett / / U K ----

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: cross-fade query
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:12:21 pm

chris

"As the 'spotlight gets larger the edges soften and the opacity decreases to zero ( ie the effect fades off ) ."

How are you animating the size of spotlight? By increasing the size of Solid or by changing the mask properties(mask path, expansion, feather,etc)?

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:29:30 pm

Hi Vishesh

----------- am animating the scale of the layer -----chris --

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:35:57 pm

I have noticed that I get much better results if I use an actual Light and make the layer 3d - never got flickering issues.

As far as the monitor- I use just a regular tv when I don't need to see accurate color for grading. For Interlacing issues I found that to be enough. You can probably find some for a great price now.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:41:35 pm

Hi chris

Try to make the same effect by animating the mask properties(I would prefer Expansion) or by using a Light and a 3D layer as suggested by Ted.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:54:57 pm

---- thanks Chaps ---

--- still a wee problem with this one though ...

The flickering is definitely caused by changing the layer opacity ( just looked at other suggestions and it is clear it is the change in opacity that flickers ) ----

Thanks BTW for suggestions ...

......... originally had a light and 3D but disliked the effect on some of the colours ( need to do more work with lights to understand better - faster kit arriving soon will help sort this ) -- animating the expansion is a good one I prefer this ...

I reckon this is a 'monitoring' issue but am a bit concerned it might be fixed into the render - think I will deliver early and ask for feedback...

---------- all the best -----chris --

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:09:00 pm

Glad I could help

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:09:34 pm

....... just for feedback thought I'd add that have sorted the issue by using an adjustment layer with animated colour correction effects and using expansion to control the spread -- this looks a bit better anyway so good result in some ways though think I need to review the monitoring situation.......

Anyone got any suggestions on a primary viewing monitor please ?

------------------------ chris --

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:25:44 pm

[chris brett] "Anyone got any suggestions on a primary viewing monitor please ?"

My main GUI monitors are HP ZR30w. I use an an i1 Display Pro to profile them for use with Ae's color management.

I use Flanders Scientific for reference monitors. They're really nice monitors, and very affordable in the US. I'm not sure what import duties there would be in the UK, but I think they list international pricing on their website.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Dec 6, 2012 at 3:24:11 pm

-- thanks Walter -- much appreciated ---

---------------- all the best ----chris --

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:57:05 pm

[chris brett] "The problem I am 'seeing' is that as the effect fades off the mix flickers however I am not sure if this will actually be like that when rendered. ( project is set at 16 bpc and 32 bpc does not solve this anyway )"

I think your problem has been solved, but I'm trying to understand what you were seeing in the first place. Does it look as though the opacity of the layer jumps around before getting all the way to zero? If you could share a simplified project file I'd love to take a look at the issue.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:53:50 pm

Hi Darby .........

....... thanks for the offer but its not very practical at the moment.

One way or another I will get to the bottom of it anyway and will post you back with results or if am still stuck will find time to take you up on your offer.

----------- all the best -------chris --

========================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]