FORUMS: list search recent posts

aspect ratio creating Adobe Illustrator files for SD NTSC video and the web

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
June Newberry
aspect ratio creating Adobe Illustrator files for SD NTSC video and the web
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:49:47 pm

Hi,

If I am creating images from Adobe Illustrator to ultimately be for for NTSC DV SD video, can I make them 720 x 540 and bring them into AE and they will then appear as 720 x 480 rectangular pixels?

My understanding was that would correct for the square pixels going to the rectangular NTSC pixels, but it does not seem to be doing that.

The comps are bigger than our comp aspect ratio and we are then doing 'fit to comp; which squashes our image.

I realize their is a setting in AI for film and video, I have avoided it in case we want to use these images for print later. However, maybe it is time do just use that.

My understanding was that creating the images 720 x 540 square would correct into 720 x 480 NTSC. Is this incorrect?

Thanks for any help in advance!

June

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: aspect ratio creating Adobe Illustrator files for SD NTSC video and the web
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:01:10 pm

Make a NTSC DV comp. There are comp presets for this.

put the footage in the comp. Highlight the layer. Use the "scale the layer to fit the comp" keyboard shortcut; on a Mac, it's Cmd-Opt-f. I guess it would be Ctl-Alt-f.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

June Newberry
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:24:19 pm

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it!

We have been doing this, but it seems to be squashing the video.

I thought the 720 x 540 square pixels translated to same size and aspect ratio as 720x480 rectangular pixels. If so I should not be having to resize it /make it alter to fit the comp.

It is important for the content we are making that nothing gets squashed as they are educational and a circle must be a circle, not an oval, etc.

Thanks again!

June

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:10:32 pm

You can always work at 720x540, then nest your finished comps into 720x480 comps for delivery using the scaling shortcut described above.

If the pixels in a 720x480 video frame were intended to be absolutely square, the screen would be in an aspect ratio of 3:2. But it's not -- the screen is in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Thus the pixels are narrower.

Welcome to television.

You should become familiar with the concept of pixel aspect ratios:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Look for the section called "Pixel aspect ratio and frame aspect ratio".

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]