FORUMS: list search recent posts

automating visual assistance with AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben wolfinsohn
automating visual assistance with AE
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:29:21 pm

I have a QT movie where each frame has a number 1 though 9 on the screen. I have a timeremaped layer with a slider attached to it, and that slider goes from 1-9. I have to match each frame of the slider to each frame of the QT movie. so when the screen says 5 I put the slider to 5 and when the screen says 2 I have to put the slider to 2. is there anyway of automating this? does aftereffects have any way of assigning a number to a visual frame?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: automating visual assistance with AE
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:11:43 am

[ben wolfinsohn] " so when the screen says 5 I put the slider to 5 and when the screen says 2 I have to put the slider to 2"

I think you've got the workflow backwards. I believe that you would rather the screen follow the slider value and not the other way, as you've described.

You should be able to do this with commented layer markers - ie, you create layer markers and comment them with a number. The Time Remap effect (where the Expression script is placed) will then read this comment and use the information to decide which frame to display.

It'll probably take me most of the day to work this out BUT I'm sure someone at the COW's AE Expressions Forum
should be able to sort this out quickly.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:38:44 am

Sorry if my question was confusing. Another program exports out a QT movie that I then import into AE, and then I have to match the slider in AF to the numbers in the QT.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:50:44 am

[ben wolfinsohn] "I have to match the slider in AF to the numbers in the QT"

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea in the benefit with doing that unless you are trying to link the slider to something else. If you are then it's best that you let us know what it is. This will ensure that any replies with a solution will be close to what you want.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 17, 2012 at 4:33:53 am

Did not want to bore anyone with the whole story but here it is then.

I'm building some traditional hand-drawn animation and using after effects animate. In order to animate the lip movements of someone talking I have seven diffrently drawn frames that match different sounds of a human voice. It Is very labor-intensive to have to match each sound to each of the 7 frames by hand. There is a program called tune boom that allows you to import audio and it will match each of the 7 frames to the diffrent sounds using an audio recognition technology it has. maya is the only other program that also has this technology. You can then export it as a QuickTime. But that only thing I want to use this toon boom for is the readout of frame numbers so i can keep all the animation in AE if that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 17, 2012 at 7:59:31 am

If you draw the seven images in Toon Boom or an external application then AE will only be able to distort/morph between the seven images UNLESS you have no issues with no in-between frames, going from one image to another.

Of course, if you wanted in-between frames and to have more control over the in-between frames then you would require to have more than seven images.

As I suggested earlier, you should post your Q at the COW's Expressions Forum. I also suggest that you let the folks there know how you would like the images to animate, going from one image to another.

BTW, I saw your earlier thread where someone had suggested using Lip-sync. I actually think that's a viable option BUT again it all depends on how you want the seven images to animate, going from one image to another.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

ben wolfinsohn
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:05:17 am

i don't want to use the QT from toon boom to animate with. I just want to use the raw number list it generates so i don't have to tweak a QT file, that becomes a problem if i have to do that.

I could export out a QT from toon boom that just has 1 dot that moves around to 7 different positions on the screen, then have AE track a motion using the tracker, then if i could somehow use that tracking information to tell the slider where to go it could work.

I will try to figure out the best way to explain what i need and post something on the expressions forum like you say.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]