FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downsizing a 240fps tiff sequence to 24fps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noland Orozaco
Downsizing a 240fps tiff sequence to 24fps
on Nov 9, 2012 at 12:54:13 am

Hi there,
I have some 240fps footage that I have in the form of a tiff sequence. I want to take that footage and create new movies out of it, but in lower framerates. Lets take 24fps as an example.
Here's what I've been trying:
Since I want to create 24fps out of 240fps, I select one out of every 10 frames, copy it into a separate folder, then import it from the new folder into AE as a 24fps tiff sequence. I check the "tiff sequence" box and "force alphabetical order" box when importing.
Here's why that's a problem:
I having to do this process about 200 times, with different framerates and different starting places in the footage. I can't continue to just move the files into a new folder to import, because it takes 20 minutes to transfer the files every time.
Here's what I want:
I want a way to create 24fps out of 240fps footage, without having to move the files from the original folder. In other words I need a way to tell AE to take 1 out of every 10 frames from a folder, and create a movie out of those frames.
I really need help on this one, it's for a very important client.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Downsizing a 240fps tiff sequence to 24fps
on Nov 9, 2012 at 1:37:27 am

IF you select one out of every 10 frames, you're going to end up with a stop-motion effect. Is this what you want?

AE only goes up to 99 FPS in the Interpret Footage dialog as well as in the comps. There are ways around this by using Time Remapping but I think what you'll want to do is to interpret the sequence as 24FPS when you import it into the Project Panel.

Then drop it into a 24fps comp and apply Posterize Time with a setting of 2.4.

Additionally, you can import the same footage items multiple times with each instance having a different FPS which you can set in the Interpret Footage dialog.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Noland Orozaco
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:32:21 pm

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately the posterize time method doesn't give the desired effect. What it does is create display one frame, then show that from for ten frames, then move on to the next frame, resulting in super slow motion.
What I'd like is for after effects to show frame 1, skip 9 entirely, and then show frame 11, skip nine, and show 21 etc.
Any sort of time remapping tool has unpredictable results, either blurring the frames or sometimes skipping 10 or 8 frames, even if mathematically it should skip 9.
I'm at the end of my rope, any other suggestions?
-Noah

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 10, 2012 at 3:07:03 am

[Noland Orozaco] "What I'd like is for after effects to show frame 1, skip 9 entirely, and then show frame 11, skip nine, and show 21 etc."

Ah! Then import your sequence at 24fps and drop it into a comp with a 2.4 FPS setting. Render the comp out at 2.4FPS BUT ensure that your NLE or AE interprets it as 24fps.

For variations, the math is quite simple. If you want the sequence to skip frame count every 15 frames then you divide the interpreted FPS by 15. So, if your sequence has been interpreted as 24FPS and you want to skip every 15 frames, then the comp FPS should be 24/15.

Take note that you can simply type 24/15 in the FPS box, in the Comp dialog window.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects ACE/ACI (version 7)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 9, 2012 at 4:57:49 am

As Roland already stated you unfortunately can't interpret the image sequence as 240fps in AE. If you could the solution would simply be to put this 240fps sequence in a 24fps composition and render that composition.

Since the frame rate is above the 99fps limit, however, you'll probably be better off interpreting the sequence at 24fps, placing it in a composition and using Layer > Time > Time Stretch. Set the stretch factor to 10%.

If you have some extra time to play around with the footage (240fps, I'm jealous) you could throw Time > Timewarp onto the sequence, set the Speed to 1000%, enable motion blur and crank up the shutter angle and shutter samples a bit. That should look very cool. Probably not what the client is after though, save it for after the work is done? :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Noland Orozaco
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:42:06 pm

thanks for the reply darby,
time stretch resulted in unpredictable results, sometimes it would drop 9 frames, but sometimes it would drop 8 or 10.
It seems as though after effects has no way for the user to designate how many frames should be dropped when you downsize frame rates.
I came up with a solution however, using windows 7 I simply hide the files I don't want aftereffects to pick up, so they're in the same folder but after effects can't see them because they're hidden. That way I can control exactly what frames are dropped, and what frames are taken by after effects.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:46:46 am

Interesting results. I tested by creating my own image sequence and time stretching it and I always saw the 10th frame (the frames were simply reporting the original sequence frame number). Maybe my sequence wasn't long enough to see your result.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:52:16 am

I'll also mention that you could apply time remapping with an expression like:

f = 10;
framesToTime(timeToFrames(time - inPoint) * f);

This would advance 10 frames per frame. Since a time remapped layer can have any in/out point you'd have to trim the layer to the correct 1/10th duration yourself.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]