FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method of adjusting footage for projection on colored wall?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittnell Anderson
Best method of adjusting footage for projection on colored wall?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:53:33 pm

I have a video that I know will be projected on a yellow painted wall.

Any thoughts on the best solution to knock down only the yellow channel, so that it appears more balanced once projected?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Best method of adjusting footage for projection on colored wall?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:33:55 pm

Did you tried the selective color effect? It has some nice controls.

Return to posts index

Brittnell Anderson
on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:28:19 pm

Great suggestion, thanks.
I am testing it out now, but already feel this might be the best solution.
Now the challenge will be finding the specific adjustments necessary for this projector/wall color combination.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:47:50 pm

You might try white-balancing the camera using a white card AND irising so it's at maximum brightness, then aim it at the wall. You now have the yellow color.... sort of. You can use the RGB values to try to eliminate the appropriate amount of yellow. The Arithmetic effect might do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:49:39 am

Some expensive projectors have a wall shot button that white balances automatically. i.e. You see a sequence of colors flash for approximately five seconds while the sensor measures the conditions of the projection surface and adjusts the image.

IF you don't have that feature, you can eyeball it with selective color or try my auto w/b.

I wrote a project a while back that will automatically remove tints of any color. It also works on incorrect camera settings and old film.

1. just record the projected image on the yellow wall with a camcorder then import and replace the video in the project. It has optional furthur tweaking on master control sliders. (important! Stretch it to the exact size!)

2. copy and paste all layer 6's effects onto your final out comp. The remove tinting effects will now proactively remove themselves before it's even projected onto the wall.

auto white balance shadow.aep
ae cs3.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5vkfg7ash7tgvj7

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:52:28 pm

It sounds like you want to modify the footage so it looks correct when projected on the yellow wall.

So, you want to 'subtract' the yellow from the existing video. To be accurate, you need to subtract the specific yellow that is on the wall.

The technically accurate method would be to determine the exact hue of the yellow wall. Use a calibrated color meter (yeah right) or accurately balanced camera and vectorscope. Then subtract that hue from the image (or add the same amount of the opposite hue -blue in this case- to the image.)

One method: Have the projector show a white frame on the wall, shoot it (still cam would probably be OK), then put that footage in your project and 'subtract' the color by inverting (ctrl-I) the footage. Adjust opacity to suit.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:32:01 pm

The direct way:
Buy an assortment of theatrical gels in the blue/cyan range.
Hold in front of projector. Pick best look. Add sticky tape or clips to hold in place.

Commercial gel media is clean enough to have a minimal effect distortion-wise.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]