FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects Cs6 Not maintaining Ram usage on render, Sleep issues?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Morgan
After Effects Cs6 Not maintaining Ram usage on render, Sleep issues?
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:13:28 am

Hey guys, Right as far as I am now aware this is not a project specific issue. I have tried different codec renders and different formats within different projects. This points towards the issue possibly being with my mac. I have set all the power saving properties to 'never turn off'. Here is what the issue is:

I set up my render for example, Full fram HD, H.264 compressed, no audio it is from a collect all so no issues with sourcing form different drives/destinations. Click render and the Ram usage flys up to 50% which is perfect, thats as much as I want it to use and it maintains this for a while. Then after a while it just drops to as low as 10% and hangs there taking ages to render individual frames.

It feels like my ram is going to sleep, I understand that Cs6 is somewhat more respectful of how much ram it ravages, I don't want this when Im rendering something overnight.

Can you guys help?
I would provide screen shots and more details but like I said it isnt project specific, it's general issue.

Thanks alot

Chris

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects Cs6 Not maintaining Ram usage on render, Sleep issues?
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:24:48 pm

[Chris Morgan] "I set up my render for example, Full fram HD, H.264 compressed, no audio it is from a collect all so no issues with sourcing form different drives/destinations. Click render and the Ram usage flys up to 50% which is perfect, thats as much as I want it to use and it maintains this for a while. Then after a while it just drops to as low as 10% and hangs there taking ages to render individual frames. "

Nobody cares about optimizing RAM usage -- we care only about optimizing render time. There's no point in filling the RAM just for the sake of using it; you fill RAM to feed image buffers to the CPU for compositing.

In other words, RAM usage is not the best indicator of performance.

When your RAM usage drops, what's happening to your CPU usage? If it is still high, then RAM is not the problem. If CPU and RAM usage are both dropping off, what's happening with disk activity?

What are your memory & multiprocessing settings? What kinds of effects are you using? Are you doing any work with the new ray-tracing renderer? If so, what graphics card do you have?

Have you tried rendering to an image sequence instead of to H.264?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]