FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I make this look better? [video linked within]

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Leach
How do I make this look better? [video linked within]
on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:22:31 pm

I made this as a place holder and it looks very flat... I want to make it pop a bit more. I threw this together in After Effects using the Beam Effect and then pick whipped it's start and end points. When I made it I was hoping to be able to have it exist in 3d space so I can have the camera slowly moving forward and have a slight rotation. I forgot Beam only works with X/Y start/end points.

Is there another way I could do this that would allow it to exist in 3d? I don't mind making from scratch. I am using CS6 Creative Cloud on Windows 7 x64.

Mark Leach

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do I make this look better? [video linked within]
on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:53:38 pm

Trapcodes 3D Stroke probably will accomplish what you want. Go to Red Giant and download a trial and see if it's what you need.

You could check out Plexus also at AE sctipts. About 2 minutes into the demo it looks to be doing what you want, but I've never used it, so I'm can't say for sure it will do exactly what you need.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mark Leach
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:36:34 pm

I am watching a 50 minute tutorial on Plexus ... I don't know if it will work for what I am doing but its definitively interesting enough to see what it offers for future projects. Actually it looks like in V2 they might have added what I want to use it for.

Also what video did you see that you were saying 2 minutes in looks like what I am trying to do?

Mark Leach

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:19:38 pm

In addition to Johnny's suggestion, I'd also recommend animating a camera to get some perspective change. If the text isn't extruded, it can look 2D despite a lot of effort; animating a camera can help a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Leach
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:41:18 pm

I removed the slight camera zoom/orbit that was in it because it doesn't have 3d depth yet. The final will definitely have it. Thanks for the suggestion. The logo I have in the video right now looks like crap so I put a place holder in for posting here.

Mark Leach

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:58:28 pm

Plexus is the easier way- that's for sure, but if you do not have the extra budget you can always do this by building the whole ensemble with 3d layers. I did this before I got Plexus, granted on a lesser number of words. I built a line on a 2d layer with a wipe transition to animate the reveal. Turned the layer 3d and set the anchor point at the right end of the line. I the positioned the end to the edge of my background 3d element and rotate the line to position in 3d space for the first word. The 3d text layer was then positioned at the end of the line using the 3d views. From here it was just a matter of duplicating and re-positioning the lines and text, and offsetting the reveal animation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mark Leach
on Sep 16, 2012 at 7:11:37 pm

This sounds like what I did when I was first playing with beam. I should have done this from the start but now I think I might try Plexus. It looks to be a solid plugin. Just trying to convince my self it is worth the cost and that it will work for what I want to do.

Mark Leach

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 16, 2012 at 7:51:55 pm

If you can afford it go for it- it does that what you want and more!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]