FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Noise Problem...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
Video Noise Problem...
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:32:26 am

Hi.

I'm shooting a music promo and have come up against some noise issues in a couple of shots. Here's a link to a clip http://youtu.be/W6d6B-ggoJI

As you can see in the background there is a lot of apparent movement within the colours (apologies for that terrible description). COuld someone explain what is happening here and suggest any ways to improve it?

Thanks

Stuart

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Video Noise Problem...
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:38:20 am

what are you shooting with? What kind of lights are you using? What format (1080/720 25, 24 or 30 p or 50/60i)?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:50:18 am

Hi Ted.

My bad, apologies. Here are the details:

Shot on DSLR - Canon 600D
Lighting - 800w Red Heads
1920 x 1080p at 24fps

I should also add that the clip has been quite heavily graded at this point. The roriginal aw clip has no visible issues.

Thanks

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:52:03 am

Stuart

---- I know this is stating the obvious but if its easy to test this way I would be inclined to regrade another test section with the same technical settings but much less colour adjustment, say just lower the red slightly or some other minor tweak and see if this problem goes away -- also work in the highest bpc available.

If the problem goes away it may be that too much picture info has been taken out to cope with the background.

If the problem persists check the technical specs.

------ chris brett // uk

===========================

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:31:41 pm

Thanks for that Chris.

I'll give it a try and will hopefully get to the bottom of the issue. I guess there's only so far I can push my footage before I start running into these type of problems.

Thanks again.

Stuart

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:47:39 pm

Most likely a compression and grading issue.
What I learned that works best is to render the final ungraded pass to a uncompressed format, bring that in AE and grade in a 32bit comp, render uncompressed again and then use Encoder for delivery compression.
While the above does not add any extra quality to what is already there, for me it seems to work best.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:55:45 pm

Ah Ok. That sounds like a good idea. Could you suggest an uncompressed Codec I could use. I nearly always export ProRes442 and so don't really have much experience with uncompressed codecs.

Much appreciated.

Stuart

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:29:59 pm

ProRes will work - 444 is best. For uncompressed- Animation - QT, PNG - QT, or TIFF sequence are just a few options.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:56:41 pm

--- yes I'm very much with Ted on that one -- never throw any picture information away until you really have to ....

--- all the best -------chris

===================================

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 15, 2012 at 2:43:22 am

if don't want to throw any data away, edit in 16 or 32bpc so transitions/effects aren't dithered/clamped. Then render out a master 4:4:4 in trillions of colors. If your original footage was noisy, use neatvideo or ae's remove grain. I also noticed it was flickering, which means you might have a moire problem too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]