FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Hughes
Mask Tracking
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:42:32 pm

I've had this issue for a while, basically I have a moving object in my frame and I have made a subtract mask around the outline of some trees nearby so that when the object moves it goes behind the trees, problem is, when I move the position of the object, the mask I created on the object moves with it, can I make a mask on a separate layer and make the moving object go behind it somehow?

Thank you for your time everyone! :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mask Tracking
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:51:48 pm

You can motion track the image in question, then apply the track to a null object. Don't mask the footage itself, but copy & paste the mask to a solid. Then position the solid as necessary, parent it to the null object, and you should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Aug 31, 2012 at 7:20:29 pm

Well, I started again and tried it. Now, whenever I click the 3-D layer on for any picture i've dropped into shot, it disappears, I've even tried zooming right out to find it and setting the position to 0,0,0 but still can't find it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 31, 2012 at 7:29:50 pm

Oh, well, you didn't mention anything about 3D! Shame!

If the footage is all stills, you can duplicate the layer that this "object" needs to pass behind, move the top layer 1 pixel closer to the camera in z-space, move the lower layer 1 pixel back in z-space, and place the layer that needs to pass behind the top layer between the two in z-space, and scale as necessary.

On the top layer, mask around the part that needs to be in front. You should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Aug 31, 2012 at 7:32:54 pm

Right now the problem isn't even making a mask. I have a video footage and I place a picture into it, but whenever I click the 3-D button to make the picture into a 3-D layer the picture just completely disappears, I've had problems with this for so long, sometimes the picture grows to enormous size and I have to scale it down, sometimes it goes off camera so even when I zoom out and put the position of the newly 3D picture to 0,0,0 I still can't find it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:09:15 pm

Um, are you trying to use AE intuitively?

It sounds like it, and I'm here to tell you that it is a very, Very, VERY bad idea indeed.

If this is true, you're simply jumpingo into the deep end of the pool with an anvil around your neck. You really should begin at the beginning:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:10:13 pm

I have been using AE for about 8 months now, I am used to quite a few things on it but 1 or 2 things stump me so it's only those few thing's i'd like to know really, like the disappearing 3-d thing.

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:31:05 pm

Thanks, I got it in front of the camera and I managed to reposition and resize it after a while, now i just need to get the masking thing right. If I make a solid and make a mask on that, it's just that shape cut out of a white solid, and even parenting it to the tracking data it won't follow it!

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Aug 31, 2012 at 7:54:40 pm

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/3d-disappearance

There's the link for a video I've done showing my new problem

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:19:32 pm

Its probably just behind your camera...If you at least had shown the cameras position in that video, we could have told you for sure.

Return to posts index

Joshua Hughes
on Sep 1, 2012 at 11:58:18 am

It was in fact behind my camera, so that helped after spending about 10 minutes trying to resize and reposition it. Now I need to figure out the moving mask, if I cut a mask out of a solid object it just makes that shape in white, plus, parenting it to any of the tracks doesn't make it follow them!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]