FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy and Paste Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Wichael
Copy and Paste Layers
on Aug 22, 2012 at 6:45:44 pm

I am trying to copy and paste layers from one project to another. I've tried importing one project into another but I only get the raw footage/solids with no timeline layers. I've also tried opening project 1 and copying layers, then opening project 2 and pasting layers, but get "Original Source Deleted" in place of some layers. Help!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Copy and Paste Layers
on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:01:11 pm

[Ken Wichael] "I've tried importing one project into another but I only get the raw footage/solids with no timeline layers"

This sounds strange. When you import one after effects project into another after effects project you should get a folder with all of the elements in the original project, including compositions (which I assume is what you mean by timeline layers?). If you need something more than that please do clarify.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ken Wichael
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:49:53 pm

Thanks Darby for your response.
You are correct in that I do get a folder with the original elements such as jpegs, solids, footage, etc. But what I'm after are the layers that have been animated in the timeline, with expressions, movement, effects such as particles, etc. I don't want to have to re-create layers in a new project that I have already created in an old project, if you get my drift. Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

Ken Wichael
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:03:51 am

In other words, I do get a composition of the previous project, just as if I had pre-composed it, but I would like to have the individual separate layers that were used in the original compostion.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 23, 2012 at 3:56:02 am

[Ken Wichael] " In other words, I do get a composition of the previous project, just as if I had pre-composed it, but I would like to have the individual separate layers that were used in the original compostion."

Aren't they in the compositions that are imported with the project?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ken Wichael
on Aug 23, 2012 at 11:09:27 am

I probably just don't know how to use the software. Are you saying that if you have a single composition in your timeline, such as one that's been precomposed, you should be able to access the layers that created that composition?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 23, 2012 at 3:24:21 pm

Yes, in your final composition you can always double-click any precomps you've made to open them and work on them. They are also available in the project window and can be accessed that way too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ken Wichael
on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:06:46 pm

Duh! Dummy me! I finally figured it out with everyone's help. I was bringing down the imported comp into the timeline and trying to doubleclick it there to get to the layers, with no luck. But by doubleclicking the comp in the elements window, it opened the layers up. A big thank you to Darby and John for helping me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]