Experiencing the Dreaded "RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" error back in CS6
on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:15:31 am

Computer specs:
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4
15" MacBook Pro, late 2011
8 GB of Ram at 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

AfterEffects CS6 version 11.0.1.12

So I started noticing a slowdown with AfterEffects when I began working on a fairly heavy title graphic which consisted of a background with an ambient light, a title graphic that was extruded and beveled and a one-node camera. All told it was 16 seconds. I was able to export the video but it did not export the music track that accompanied it.

About a week ago, a started getting the message "After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames." When I first started using AE CS6 a few months ago, the RAM Preview was working fine. Note: it does load a RAM Preview if I close Google Chrome but it will only do a preview for 01:08. Then the RAM playback stops and it loops.

I emptied the Disk Cache and Cleaned Cache Media Database in the preferences. I have 6 GB of RAM available for AE and there are no other Adobe programs running.

I've only been doing work in AE for about 3 months. I know I am a noob. Are there any experienced minds out there who can get me back on track and into the game?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Experiencing the Dreaded "RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames" error back in CS6
on Oct 12, 2012 at 4:11:03 pm

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is the addition of a new Memory & Multiprocessing preference and an adjustment to memory handling on Mac OS to alleviate the problem seen when getting the message “After Effects error: RAM Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]