FORUMS: list search recent posts

Certain Shape Path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen joaquin
Certain Shape Path
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:10:34 pm

Hi, does anyone know a way of creating this shape. inside of AE or Photsohop properly...

Cause this is what i got.. when i tryed... i suck at making path's.. is there any trick or any method that could help me here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Certain Shape Path
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:19:46 pm

First things first: now are you going to use this layer once you make it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:24:13 pm

Yes indeed... I need it for a project.. plus i'd like to learn how to do it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:27:04 pm

It's pretty much a given that you'll use it in a project. Im more interested in how it will be used within the the project itself.

You could make it in a variety of ways, but some may not work depending on how you use it, you see.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:33:18 pm

basicly a font would go inside the path of the circle and this shape would be rotating around it

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:30:26 pm

No one? Knows?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:53:19 pm

there's and effect by trapcode called 3d stroke (at redgiant.com) that can easily create that shape and animate it.

however, if you simply want to create that shape, you can do it relatively easily in ae.

create a new solid and i'd make it large enough to fit the comp, but make it square (for the example i'll use 500x500).

1. add the linear wipe effect, set it to 50% and 180 degrees (this is to crop the solid)
  2. add the circle effect and set the radius to half the comp size (250 if you are using my example), also set the blending mode in the effect to stencil alpha --you should see half a circle, and if you toggle transparency the half-circle should be opaque, the rest transparent.
  3. duplicate the circle effect on that layer, set the radius to a smaller value (say 25px less, so 225), check the option to invert circle and set the center property's x value to 25px less, so 225 --you should now see something close to what you are after, but squared off at one end.
  4. duplicate that circle effect and uncheck the invert option, set the blending mode to normal, set the radius to the difference of the other 2 radii + 1 (so 25 + 1 = 26px) and set the center property's x value to the first circle's x value + radius - the radius of this circle (so, 250+250-26= 247px)

you should now see the shape you were after. you can tweek the settings as needed. when you get the shape right, you can simply animate the rotation of the layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:01:12 pm

And how could i create it in 3D Stroke? I'm curious about that.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:05:31 pm

for 3d stroke, create a solid, add a circular mask, add 3d stroke.

set the start property to 50, enable taper, set start taper to 100.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:02:49 pm

if you like expressions, try this:

center position of circle 2 (the second circle effect):
effect("Circle")("Center")-[effect("Circle")("Radius")-effect("Circle 2")("Radius"),0]

center effect of circle 3:
effect("Circle")("Center")+effect("Circle")("Radius")-effect("Circle 3")("Radius")

radius of circle 3:
effect("Circle")("Radius")-effect("Circle 2")("Radius")+1

now you can tweak the outer radius (the first circle radius) and the inner radius (the second circle) and see the update live in the preview window.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Allen joaquin
on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:28:15 pm

GENIUS! thank so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]