FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I get my negative and positive value amounts to show their actual amounts, not relative?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Andrade
How do I get my negative and positive value amounts to show their actual amounts, not relative?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 2:00:32 pm

Sorry I am not including specifics, but I know there is a simple answer, and I cannot locate one. Right now, I am setting up an expression, and I can adjust the value from zero both in the positive and negative direction.

The PROBLEM lies where whether or not I adjust the amount to lets say -10....or 10...After effects reads that amount as 10. So if I pickwhip lets say opacity it will be transparent at 0, and fully opaque at 10 and -10.

what I am trying to do it set an expression where -10 is the LOWEST and 10, for example, would be the highest (not the distance relative to 0). I am sure there is a simple javascript script I can insert, but I cannot find one. Again, ideas?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do I get my negative and positive value amounts to show their actual amounts, not relative?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 2:29:09 pm

Sounds like you want an interpolation expression. I made a solid and added a slider control that went from -10 to 10 to create this expression, but you could delete effect("Slider Control")("Slider") as the controller and pick whip to whatever you want to use as an input.

input = effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
ease(input, -10,10,0,100)

Here's a link that explains this expression and the other interpolation expressions. Interpolation Methods: linear(), ease()

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave Andrade
Re: How do I get my negative and positive value amounts to show their actual amounts, not relative?
on Jul 8, 2012 at 4:20:02 pm

Thanks John! I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Adrian Hargrave
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:37:56 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm having the same issue.

John suggested changing the minimum expected value. But this just increases the expression's expected value range.

linear(t, t_min, t_max, value1, value2)

The way this expression should work is when t equals or is less than t_min, the method will output value1.

This is not what is happening for me. When t is less than t_min it treats it as a positive number.

Can anyone help me out where I'm going wrong in all this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]