FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlito Reyes
Stroke
on Jun 30, 2012 at 10:21:16 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to reveal some text in 3 stages in AE, which involves 9 masks/ stroke effects, yet it doesn't work with more than 1 stroke effect per layer and I can't really add extra layers and solve it that way as every blending mode changes the look of the original text, also seems to only reveal what's on the current layer rather than the one before it too, is there a decent way around this?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Stroke
on Jul 1, 2012 at 1:22:06 pm

Try this, put multiple strokes on one layer and set the first stroke to "Reveal Original Image", then set the next strokes to "On Original Image".

Place this layer over your text layer and change the text layers track matte to "Alpha Matte"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Carlito Reyes
on Jul 1, 2012 at 2:41:16 pm

Ok what type of layer should be on top? Adjustment layer? Or a duplicate of the text layer?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 1, 2012 at 3:25:53 pm

If I was doing it, I would create my text and put a solid layer over it, turn the solid's visibility off, create the masks needed, add the strokes and then turn the text's track matte to "alpha matte".

If you already have the masks/strokes on a text layer, a duplicate of it would work also, just remove them from the bottom text layer. An adjustment layer won't work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Carlito Reyes
on Jul 1, 2012 at 6:26:54 pm

I just got it working with the adjustment layer, but It's pretty much what you described first, it only seems to work with the layer's visibility off. I still don't quite understand how it works lol, but thanks very much though.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 1, 2012 at 8:34:04 pm

I have to admit, I had no clue you could put a stroke on an adjustment layer...learn something new everyday.

Track mattes are pretty basic but important concepts to learn in AE...if you are just getting started check out some of these links from Todd Kopriva(works at Adobe). There some really good training programs there to get you started & give you a proper understanding of how AE works.

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Glad you got it to work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]