FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Analysis - the search for the bottleneck

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Maus
Render Analysis - the search for the bottleneck
on May 26, 2012 at 12:14:41 am

Is there a way/tool/plugin/script to analyse my renderings?
So there is this comp which takes hours and hours to render. And I'd just like to know where the bottleneck is. What parts of the comp take most time to render? Or even: which layer/effect needs most of the time to calculate?
With this kind of information I could reconsider the effects in use, and build my comps more efficiently.

Is there a anything? (This kind of information should at least be known to the "bowels" of after effects!)

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Render Analysis - the search for the bottleneck
on May 26, 2012 at 4:37:06 pm

You can alter the Log settings which will produce a text file showing how long it took to render each frame etc which may indicate where the bottlenecks are.

From After Effects Help:

"You can choose how much information After Effects writes to a render log file. If you choose Errors Only, After Effects only creates the file if errors are encountered during rendering. If you choose Plus Settings, a log file is created that lists the current render settings. If you choose Plus Per Frame Info, a log file is created that lists the current render settings and information about the rendering of each frame. When a log file has been written, the path to the log file appears under the Render Settings heading and Log menu."

Here is where you change the settings:

Return to posts index

Roger Maus
on May 28, 2012 at 5:05:37 pm

Thank you! This does help a little. With this, I get this kind of information...
0:00:13:09 (335): 11 seconds
0:00:13:10 (336): 17 seconds
0:00:13:11 (337): 5 seconds
...for every singe frame.

With the help of Excel I got this:

Not bad, but in a 50+ layer comp it's still quite hard to make out the effect/layer which is the root of the trouble.

Ain't there anything handier?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 29, 2012 at 5:56:59 pm

[Roger Maus] "Not bad, but in a 50+ layer comp it's still quite hard to make out the effect/layer which is the root of the trouble. Ain't there anything handier?"

Nope. Just experience. What effects are you using?

Another thing I'd try is watching the performance monitor (Windows) or activity monitor (Mac) to see how effectively your CPU usage is. If CPU usage isn't consistently high, but RAM usage or disk activity is, then you probably have a system bottleneck.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roger Maus
on May 30, 2012 at 6:45:35 am

Thanks for your response, Walter.

I am searching for a general solution regarding my projects, as I am pretty sure that I don't build them efficiently.

But in this very case it's a full hd animation project. I use only scanned drawing and large textures. Regarding effects there's only "set matte" (lots!), "fill matte" (lots!), "simple choker" a little "drop shadow", a little "keylight"...

Will observe my performance monitor for sure!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Sep 30, 2015 at 6:28:29 am

Hello there!
I am "bumping" this post in hope that in the 3 years since the original post there's something new...
I am also in need of finding the bottleneck(s) in a render...
Is there any script or somewhere to get more clues? Other that the methods suggested above?

Thanks for any input!
Adam

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 30, 2015 at 10:01:18 am

[Adam Lewen] "I am "bumping" this post in hope that in the 3 years since the original post there's something new... I am also in need of finding the bottleneck(s) in a render... Is there any script or somewhere to get more clues? Other that the methods suggested above?"

Nothing new, but there is something old I neglected to mention. Click the disclosure triangle next to the words "Current Render" in the Render Queue for more information about what Ae is doing during render:

[image]

That can tell you WHAT Ae is bottlenecking on; to figure out WHY it's bottlenecking, you still need to explore your system's use of resources and know a bit about how that may impact Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Sep 30, 2015 at 11:46:53 am

Thanks Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved