FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phone camera playback..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi
Phone camera playback..
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:10:37 am

Guys. ;)

I'm trying to create a phone camera playback, not the actual filming.
The problem is that tomorrow I'll have nothing more than 2 hours to make it work, time's not my friend.

Do you have any idea about how to realize something convincing or, at least, not weird? My objective is to create a simple but working "completition gauge" of the video, like there are in any playback program or tool.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Phone camera playback..
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:59:53 am

Not really clear what you're after- is it the video itself you need to affect and make it look like it's been shot on a phone cam, or do you need to create a user interface that animates as the video plays?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:14:12 am

Oups, sorry. Well, the right answer is "Both".

My real urgence though is about the user interface.

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26:18 pm

To alter the footage you can use Remove Grain or Neat Video to make it look softer, crush the Levels and saturate the color a bit.

The interface- search on google for screen shots- you basically need a semitransparent rectangle at the bottom that has a play/pause button, a progress bar that animates as the video runs and a counter- easily created with AE native plugins to show the exact timecode. At the top you can have another rectangle, not as tall as the bottom, that shows the name of the file.

Hope these help- for more specific issues ask more specific questions.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:16:35 pm

It sounds as if you could to it with three solids.

Solid #1 is masked twice: once to make it the proper size on the screen, and again to create a horizontal slot, which represents the space for the progress bar. This same solid is used again with NO mask for the progress bar. Let's call it Solid #1A. Make it the bottommost layer of every other solid mentioned.

Solid #2 uses the first mask you made for solid #1. It is used as a track matte for....

Solid #3: pick a color. this is the progress bar. Simply animate its horizontal position, and it will look like a progress bar growing longer.

That should do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:08:25 am

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions. ;) The main problem is indeed the extremely limited time I have to do it. I'll also try to mask a solid to create an animation effect like the Macs progress bars.. Maybe an offset effect will work.

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:51:59 pm

Actually, you can do this with just two solids, now that I think it over.

One solid serves as the background for the progress bar.

The second solid serves as the progress bar itself. Move this solid's anchor point to the LEFT edge.

Now it's time to play with this solid's scale: unlink horizontal & vertical scale. Adjust the vertical scale until it looks like the height of a progress bar, and don't worry if the solid is longer than the background solid. Position it properly over the background.

Go to the LAST frame of the comp. Adjust the horizontal scale of the progress bar solid until it looks like progress is at 100% done. Make a scale keyframe. go to the START of the comp. Change this solid's horizontal scale to ZERO.

You now have a progress bar that fills up from left to right for the entire duration of the comp. If it takes you more than three minutes to make it, you need to go back to After Effects school.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:56:17 pm

Your steps are a piece of cake. ;) Thanks a lot, but indeed that's not exactly what I want to do, it's.. Far too simple. The director asked me to do something really "appleish", so.. A White bar that fills inside a stroked "whiter" bar.. Using track matte (correct me if I'm wrong!) would make impossible to have a "border" around my progression bar. So I'll try to make it more manually but I'd really like to hear your opinion about this. I do know I have a lot to learn..

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 28, 2012 at 6:16:05 pm

I made this, for now.. Surely in a more complicated way you or anyone else would have suggested, though. :s

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/progressbarprev

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]