FORUMS: list search recent posts

ENDING CREDITS: outside After Effects..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi
ENDING CREDITS: outside After Effects..
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:46:51 pm

Hey guys. ;)

We all know that.. Well, ending credits are somewhat hellish for After Effects.
I had to do a Credit Roll for a real film and I experienced a lot of problems, really more than I could have ever imaniged. So, even using expressions found here, my last nightmare is been exporting my 24fps project into a 25fps video, creating duplicated frames.. Then I tried to change the comp to 25, and I've got the same result. ..My first, sad question is: how can I do it right? I use an expression that moves the credits by 4 pixels per frame.

But in the end, after all.. HOW are Credits actually done in big productions? I'm pretty sure NOT with After Effects, it's just too much complicated and out of it's software programming. Am I wrong? Do you have any idea about this?

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ENDING CREDITS: outside After Effects..
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:05:30 pm

Well, you could render the end credits at 24, reimport the animation file, and conform it to 25. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

Credit rolls are NOT easy to do, not even for the people in Hollywood. If you need evidence, look at the credit roll on the most recent Star Trek movie, the one directed by JJ Abrams. On DVD, it's a train wreck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:22:16 am

Woah, I did see some problems in great movies indeed. The Animation file? If the export is, for example, a lossless MOV, then it shouldn't do the trick, am I right? It should duplicate a frame every second in the exact same way.. Or for "Animation" you're thinking of something else?

Thanks a lot, as always. :)

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2012 at 2:47:27 pm

I'll clarify my earlier response: render the close credits at 24fps. Then conform the movie's frame rate to 25 fps. You can use AE or a different application if you wish.

By doing this, the credits will be 4% shorter in terms of time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:48:30 am

Thanks, since I'm still fighting with this job I'll try to understand this the best I can.

With "Conform" you mean changing the project to 25fps? When I've done that the result was the same of "exporting" it to 25.

Would it be better with exporting single 16bit Tiffs?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:57:33 pm

[Michele Poggi] "With "Conform" you mean changing the project to 25fps?"

The term "conform" means "change the frame rate of a piece of footage".

I'll say this one more time: render your current 24 fps comp. Import the rendered clip back into AE. Conform the clip's frame rate to 25fps. Put it into a 25fps comp. Render again.

Your credit roll is now at 25fps. This really isn't a difficult concept.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:53:24 am

It's a really clear and simple concept indeed. My real obstacle is the language, being english my third one.. Though the most important, I know. Thanks for your patience, really. I only have one last question, about my upcoming final export for PRINTING:

They want 16 bit TIFFs, and of course they don't want any type of slugginess: my idea and my knowledge says that exporting in "TIFF Sequence" the framerate that I'll use is irrilevant since I'm exporting single FRAMES, am I wrong? If the credits move by 4 pixels per frame, exporting an image sequence should be completely safe or am I missing something important?

As before, thank you very much for your support. I'd really like to reach soon such a knowledge of these issues.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2012 at 3:01:04 pm

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you can conform a 24 fps image sequence to 25. If you use AE to do it, highlight the image sequence and go File>Interpret>Main, and change the frame rate in the appropriate place.

Other applications can also conform footage, and they will have different ways to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Eremic
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11:58 pm

Coming a bit late to this thread, but another way to do it is to completely re-typeset your scroll for different frame rates (24, 25) and aspect ratios (scope, 16:9 full height, 4:3).

After killing myself making many very painful end credits scrolls, I created software that does just that: http://endcrawl.com

I agree with Dave that a lot of scrolling end credits, even on big-budget films, look rough. This is partially a workflow issue. If you just have one master output of the scroll, scaling and re-timing will introduce all sorts of nasty artifacts -- shimmering, stuttering, etc.

One thing you can do with Endcrawl is just keep rendering until you're done. Under the current private beta, you get unlimited renders, so you can keep versioning and get tweaked outputs for all of your derivatives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]