FORUMS: list search recent posts

Match Frame in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Markey
Match Frame in After Effects?
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:17:32 pm

I'm dealing with timelapse footage (stills imported as a sequence), and I need to edit certain frames in Photoshop.

If I'm looking at a certain frame of an image sequence in After Effects, what's the best way to find that still image on my drive?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Match Frame in After Effects?
on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:29:44 pm

Change the time display in the comp to a straight frame count. Look at the frame number in question, find the corresponding frame in the folder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Markey
on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:57:37 pm

Hi fellow Dave,

That's a step in the right direction, but my sequences don't start at 'frame 0.' More like IMG_01863... random numbers like that. I can change the start frame in the Comp Settings, but with multiple sequences starting at different points in the Comp, things get convoluted. For instance, Frame 1863 might appear at Frame 104 of the Comp. Maybe PreComping all the sequences and setting all the Start Frames to correspond is the solution, but at that point the cost/benefit is starting to tip.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2012 at 9:26:02 pm

You might have painted yourself into a corner in AE without sequentially-numbered image sequences. However, Photoshop can also deal with image sequences, and I think you'll be better off simply the entire image sequence into Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 15, 2012 at 9:40:31 pm

There is an app called File Wrangler that allows you to quickly rename files in a folder anyway you want. So you could put each image sequence in a folder and re-number them from zero. May be worth a look.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 12
AE CS5 (10.0.2.4)
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

David Markey
on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:40:36 pm

Time-remapping and/or trimming layers would booger any file-renaming solutions.

Unfortunately, I can't set a 'Start TC' under Interpret Footage the way I can set a start TC for a Comp, so I'm thinking the best method is to PreComp all sequences, and set their start TCs to match. Using the Timecode effect might offer some benefit too.

What I really want is something like 'Reveal in Finder,' but more specific... 'Reveal Frame in Finder.' Maybe I'm just being fussy.

Thanks for your suggestions. It got me thinking about it.

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Mar 16, 2012 at 1:17:03 am

You can add a text effect to your layer and write and expression that changed the on every frame to display the frame number. I'm not sure if you could go further and get it to look up the frame name. I often to it when I'm working with re-time effects so I can get back to the source frame.

You can can work with the effect on and then just switch it off to render.

I haven't used AE for a while so can't remember the syntax of the expression but I'm sure someone else can help you out with that.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]