FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS5 project will not open...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Monroe
After Effects CS5 project will not open...
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:04:12 pm

So, I have my after effects cs5 project and when I try to open it, it gets stuck on 79% and freezes.

I then moved a duplicate of the project out of the current folder and like I assumed the project did open and of course all of the links were broken.

I assume this means one of my links has become corrupted. Links being AI, PSD, MOV, JPG, FCP files and so on.

Is there a way to find out which link/file is the corrupted link/file or a way to fix the corruption?

I am not new to AE so my project files/folders set up is fine and I am aware of the problems with bad set-ups and poor management of files. Therefore, I am not entirely sure how what ever file(s) have become corrupt. Possibly during a duplication of the file to be used for another project? I don't know.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CS5 project will not open...
on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:39:24 pm

You might try importing the project into a new, blank project instead of opening it.

You could try opening the files in their native apps and see if Illustrator or Photoshop chokes opening a specific file.

Alternately, you might try to narrow down the file by removing only one file type at a time from its current path until you can open successfully. Once you narrow it down by file type, you could isolate the specific file manually with a binary search [link] -- essentially adding and removing files from the search path by half until you find the one file that crashes the system.

Add 50% of the suspect file type back into the search path; if it crashes, remove half those files to get to 25% of the total. If it doesn't crash, add half back to the total to get to 75% percent. Repeat until you isolate the file causing the crash.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ryan Monroe
Re: After Effects CS5 project will not open...
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:07:53 pm

Thanks Walter.

I had my graphics in folders according to type so it was easy to pull out folders/gfx until I found the problematic files.

I then replaced the files with different versions and now the project works.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved