FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mapping objects in 3D space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Mapping objects in 3D space
on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:01:15 am

Hi,

I'm trying to match a photo's point in space with one panel of a 3D cube.

So basically I have created a 6 sided 3D cube. I import my photo. I scroll down and look at the anchor point and postion values of one of the 6 sides:

Anchor Point: 1150.0, 600.0, 0.0
Position: 0.0, 0.0, 150.0

I bring the photo into my comp, enable 3d and paste these values to my pictures Anchor Point and Position. I expect to see the photo now at the centre of the selected side of the cube, but is is nowhere in sight.

For clarity, when I bring the photo into the comp, the anchor point is in the centre of the image and the image is in the centre of the 3D cube.

By manually moving the image, I see that to get the desired result I want, the Anchor Point and Position are actually as follows:

Anchor Point: 255.0, 216.0, 150.0 (with the Z point going from 0.0 to 150.0 making it align)
Position: 960.0, 540.0, 0.0

I would like to understand the correlation between these two so I can understand how to achieve what I set out to without having to fiddle and manually move things until they look in the right place. Plus The photo is bigger than the size of the cube. I could just rescale to fit, but their must be an easier way to get it exact?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Mapping objects in 3D space
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:24:41 pm

Precomp the layer that is the side of the cube you want the picture to be on, leaving all attributes. Open precomp and bring in the photo you want- resize and position to fill comp. Your photo will be now on the cube in the main comp.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
Re: Mapping objects in 3D space
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:05:02 pm

Thanks, I'll try this out!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]