FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating old CS3 projects to CS5 bug

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Herman
Updating old CS3 projects to CS5 bug
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:46:58 pm

Finally upgraded to CS5 and am having issues getting footage to be properly recognized in the current updated versions CS5 creates.

When I launch an old CS3 project, AE converts that project, renames it "Untitled". So far so good.

A couple of light leaks I had in that project load up in place, all my fx are intact, if I do a RAM preview my audio even plays back, but none of my ProRes footage playback - I get a faded black screen instead... But my audio from those files is still present.

I tried to replace the footage, but that lead nowhere, turning the footage into a green screen instead.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance guys.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Updating old CS3 projects to CS5 bug
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:28:22 pm

it may be that you need a 64-bit version of the quicktime prores codec (component)... that may require a newer version or update of fcp, but i'm not sure how apple is handling their prores codec these days... possibly just updating quicktime could help. it would be nice if at least they offered the decoder portion of prores with quicktime.

you could try converting the prores to photo-jpeg, or another standard quicktime codec and see if that works. you'd need to convert it with an app other than cs5 (cs3 should do it, or compressor).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ray Herman
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:56:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The QT ProRes file came from another editor, who exported his final sequence from I-dont-know-what-version-of-FCP, but it worked fine in CS3 for me. He also made me an H.264 export, which I've also tried replacing the corrputed file with, but to no success...

I don't see where the 64-bit version equation comes into play, care to elaborate?

I'll try in the meantime to convert the ProRess file to something else and see if I have better luck.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:57:59 pm

since cs5 and 5.5 are 64-bit (previous versions were 32-bit) the resources they use need to be 64-bit too. thus the os and the effects need to be 64-bit, and i'm guessing the codecs would also need to be 64-bit.

i'd try using cs3 to convert a clip to quicktime photo-jpeg, or lossless animation, or something that is standard to quicktime (i'm pretty sure that prores is only part of apple's pro apps). then see if you can import that converted clip into cs5. if so, then it's likely that you just need to update the prores quicktime component (codec).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ray Herman
on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:13:15 pm

Thanks for the help, Kevin.

I converted the ProRes clip within QT Pro (don't have access to CS3 anymore) using the Photo-Jpeg codec and all seems fine now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]