FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem video playback in AE CS5.5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Majed Aba
Problem video playback in AE CS5.5
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:38:04 pm

Hi all, I am new to AE and have been experimenting, around 8 hours daily for the past 7 days, with slow motion effects using Twixtor (basic version). Now here is the problem:

Just recently, I noticed when I create a new project and import a new video, the video plays back in smooth slow-motion as if an effect has already been applied to the video. This happens right after completion of the import process and before starting to work on the project.

I know it is not the result of RAM preview as the green line above the layer is fully loaded and it should playback smoothly at quarter the resolution ( I am past this level in the learning curve). In an effort to break down the problem, I tried exporting the video right after the import process using the Add To Render Queue to test playback, and surely it is in slow-motion (really smooth slow-mo something like 50%). That is a slow-motion effect by just importing the video to AE and exporting it back. Sometimes (i mean rarely), the video plays back in normal speed for once before it starts to play in slow-mo. I also took a shot at resetting preferences by holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT when loading AE, and the problem is still there. Also restarted my PC like 10 times and same old same.

By the way, this happens to any video and not a specific video. Most of my videos are 5-10 seconds in duration. It is so frustrating to the point where I have to apply 300% speed-up to achieve 100% and move forward with it.

I hope i explained the problem clearly. I am hoping that it turns out to be a simple issue with a silly fix.

Thanks

Majed

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Problem video playback in AE CS5.5
on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:38:22 pm

What format and codec are the videos you are importing.
Have you installed any third-party codecs such as k-lite? They tend to mess up professional video programs.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:50:59 pm

In addition to what Michael says, I have an additional question: which version of AE are you running?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Majed Aba
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:11:58 pm

Thanks for your comment.

I am running AE CS5.5

Do you know how to uninstall Twixtor? couln't find instructions anywhere as of now.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Majed Aba
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:09:05 pm

Thanks for trying to help.

I am importing videos in .mov format and H.264 as video codec. And no I did not install any third party codecs. However, I installed Twixtor (a third party time remap effects software). It could be it!!! I do not know really.

Majed

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:18:06 pm

This sounds like a long-gop footage problem in AE, present in versions 9 (AKA CS4) and earlier. The fix is to transcode the H.264 footage to a lossless codec. I'm a Mac guy, and I like to use Quicktime's PNG codec. I even use it on my Windows machine at home; QT Pro 7 is a wonderful thing. On the other hand, QT X is a very bad thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Majed Aba
on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:22:47 pm

You said this is a problem present in CS4 and earlier. I am running CS5.5

Do you still think the fix is applicable?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:32:11 pm

Yes, particularly if you are changing the speed of the footage, or using something like Warp Stabilizer. Long-gop footage like H.264 can inhibit them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Majed Aba
on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:51:44 am

Hi Dave

I am happy to announce that the problem is solved.

It turned out Twixtor was causing the problem and by uninstalling it and re-installing again, the problem is gone.

Thanks for the help anyway. Wonderful forum and will definitely be needing it in the next few days.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]