FORUMS: list search recent posts

How should I render it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eliezer Cisner
How should I render it?
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:43:35 pm

I'm doing a presentation for a fundraising event, I'm working on 720x480 widescreen and it will be shown using a DVD player to a few projectors on projection screens.

What format and settings do I need to render the presentation?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: How should I render it?
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:49:41 pm

If it's going to be authored to a DVD for playback then you'll need to ask whoever is authoring the DVD what format they want to receive the file in. Usually they'll be okay receiving a Lossless or high quality file. They can encode that to MPEG-2 for DVD authoring/playback.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 6:55:52 pm

Any reason why I shouldn't render it as an MPEG2-DVD in the first place?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:03:19 pm

[Eliezer Cisner] "Any reason why I shouldn't render it as an MPEG2-DVD in the first place?"

The AE MPEG-2 encoder is a good one, but I find it useful to have a high quality master file to use to make other encodings from.

If you're authoring the disc yourself it's up to you. If there's someone else authoring it I would provide whatever it is they prefer.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:16:29 pm

The problem is they don't know themselves what they prefer, they usually don't do encoding. It's a very small business doing all kinds of stuff including presenting videos at events. When I asked them how they would prefer the file, they answered, "I don't know, maybe MPEG2", but in essence, it seems they really don't know much about these stuff. It's up to me to decide these stuff...

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:25:00 pm

Well, if that's the case then... maybe MPEG-2? :)

The MPEG2-DVD preset should work fine. You could increase the quality setting if you like, but I wouldn't mess with the bitrate settings much. Some DVD players tend to drop frames if the file has a bitrate in excess of 8Mbps.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:28:22 pm

So in other words: Leave the MPEG2-DVD preset AE gives alone. Correct?

One more thing: The rendered file gets really really huge, is it supposed to be like this?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35:17 pm

[Eliezer Cisner] "One more thing: The rendered file gets really really huge, is it supposed to be like this?"

The size of the file will depend on its content and the length of the video. In general MPEG-2 should give you pretty small file sizes. I often deal with 32bpc HD image sequences which run around 16MB per frame so really really huge is relative :)

The default MPEG-2 DVD preset uses a 5Mbps target bitrate, 7Mbps maximum and 2.8Mbps minimum. So this means you should expect a file size of about 0.625 MB per second of video.

The maximum possible file size you should expect to see would be about 0.875 MB per second of video.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:28:42 pm

One more piece of advice besides what Darby already gave you is to do a test- compress a short clip, burn to DVD and play it back on the device that will be used to play the finished project.
Don't use AE to encode- use Adobe Media Encoder!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35:19 pm

Thanks, Ted! What is Media Encoder better than AE?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:29:58 pm

AE does not do 2pass encoding and overall it is not best at compression- Encoder is designed to do that and offers many presets. Most AE users render uncompressed from AE and compress for delivery using Encoder or a similar software.
You can open a AE project in Encoder, select the comp you want to render/compress and render directly from it. The problem with that is that if you are not exactly sure of the final settings you aill have to wait for another long compression (since Encoder renders everything again). If you have an uncompressed master, you can change the settings and compress again at higher speeds.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:49:59 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]