FORUMS: list search recent posts

LUMA MASKS... How do you create an animated *MASK* generated by luminosity? (not a matte)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
LUMA MASKS... How do you create an animated *MASK* generated by luminosity? (not a matte)
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:13:45 pm

This one seems pretty tricky. After looking at VideoCopilot's Anamorphic Lens Flare package, I noticed that to apply the effect successfully you need to create masks that follow individual lights. They have a luminance tracker flare but it looks nowhere near as authentic as the flares that you have to manually mask... I have a lot of scenes that need these flares but I don't have time to mask them all. Can't I just create a mask that is generated frame-by-frame via the whites, and use *that* for the flares that require masks rather than the luminance tracker??? If figured out I can imagine the technique being extremely handy for everyone, saving time by removing the awkward masking of individual lights...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: LUMA MASKS... How do you create an animated *MASK* generated by luminosity? (not a matte)
on Dec 17, 2011 at 2:29:24 pm

I am not sure I understand your issue- Lens Flare packages like OLF and Knoll allow the use to animate lens flares over footage, adjustments layers and even to use certain layers to block the flare. There is no need for a mask, unless for some reason you generate the flare on black, render and then composite on top of another layer, in which case you can use Unmult (free @ RedGiant) or create the alpha from the luminance of the flare layer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
Re: LUMA MASKS... How do you create an animated *MASK* generated by luminosity? (not a matte)
on Dec 17, 2011 at 3:18:56 pm

Ahhh ok - I'll research into this more. So far, the only insight into this glare package i've seen has come from these 2 videos:

(utilizing luminance tracking - does not look great)...

(utilizing masks - seems more "3D". Beautiful)...

I have not yet purchased the package. I just don't want to waste money considering my deadlines. I need this glare polish asap and I don't know if masking/etc will be possible in the time-frame.

Just to double check though... You DO know what I'm aiming to do right? I want to create an animated MASK from a luma-keyed MATTE. Allowing the "depth" from the second video to be achieved rather than the first...

Thank you very much for your feedback anyway :)

Hope to hear more!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 17, 2011 at 9:55:09 pm

If what you are trying to achieve is similar to the second example you posted, you will need to do some roto and cut out the shape of the object/person that comes in front of the flare. If you have CS5, RotoBrush will come in handy.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Dec 18, 2011 at 10:30:23 am

Rotobrush is definitely useful. Also you can use the Autotrace feature to automatically create masks from luma or alpha. Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 19, 2011 at 8:13:05 am

Both of the videos you posted function on exactly the same principals. The biggest difference is that in the 2nd video he's using a mask as a garbage matte to limit what bright part of the shot should be flaring.

The flare is based on the luminance not the mask. The mask is just limiting the area of the frame that could potentially be considered a flare.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]