FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing color of a moving object?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Koubek
Changing color of a moving object?
on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:50:29 am

I have a scene where I need to change the color of a moving object from brown to black. It's only a part of a scene so I was thinking masking and possibly a tracked adjustment layer is the way to go. but the object changes shape so am I going to have to adjust the mask frame by frame? Please help. Thank you.

-Nack-

Return to posts index

John Hudson
Re: Changing color of a moving object?
on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:01:33 am

I am currently working on a spot that needs several parts in the scene to retain their original colors and the rest of the scene to be black and white. I started this process with the "leave color" filter but found it hard to do several colors at once. Then I switched gears and started to use the new RotoBrush tool in CS 5.5. It's amazing. It can be a little slow at times and I still had to go frame by frame but having done frame by frame masking in the past I find RotoBrush is much faster and more precise. Also, if your shot is a "lock down" it will be even easier. Just do a search on rotobrush tutorials and watch a couple. You'll be off and running in no time.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Adam Koubek
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:43:06 pm

Thank you so much. This is what i ended up using. Had to tweak the matte a lot because the footage I'm working with isn't the greatest resolution so it was all over the place, still better then rotto tho. I wasn't aware of this feature, which is amazing by the way, so thanks a lot for telling me about it John.

-Nack-

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 3, 2011 at 11:32:35 am

Depending on the other color in the shot, you may be able to Key Color Range and isolate the brown color of your object this way.
If not, roto is always an option.
Using the Roto brush may me of use, just keep in mind it's not the most intuitive tool.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
Re: Changing color of a moving object? #AfterEffects
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:39:55 am

Here's a good tutorial from John Dickinson on the Rotobrush;

http://blog.video2brain.com/en/new-rotobrush-tutorial-from-john-dickinson-a...

Hope this helps! :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Adam Koubek
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:51:13 am

Keying was unfortunately not an option because the color of the ground was almost identical to the color of the boots. Plus the quality of the footage is really bad. I used the Roto Brush, but the process ended up being just as time consuming as if I had used a frame by frame keyed mask. Thanks for your help Ted.

.adam

-Nack-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]