FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Mocha track data into AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
Importing Mocha track data into AE
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:27:25 pm

I cannot for the life of me get the track data to do what its doing in Mocha in AE!
I have checked, double checked and triple checked all the following:

Composition size
Video size
Video frame rate, pixel aspect ratio

The layer i'm pasting it on to is a solid, that is the same size as the composition settings.

When I paste the clipboard from Mocha, the end result is half the size of the planar surface in Mocha, and travels at what looks like half the speed?

GRRRR! this part should be easy!

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Importing Mocha track data into AE
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:38:50 pm

As you've mentioned, ensuring the frame rate and PAR match from Mocha to After Effects is essential for correct application of the tracking data.

Here are a few suggestions:

Has the video been scaled in After Effects?

The Comp frame rate may match Mocha, does the Interpret Footage match?

In Mocha, does the Clip Tab report frame rate and PAR correctly.

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:49:41 pm

OK got to work and tried it there on the Mac. Worked first time???? WEIRD!

The thing that isnt working now is the Red Giant corner pin effect. It seems to cause a jumpiness in the tracked layer. Where as plain after effects corner pin doesnt?

Also, whats the deal with the align layer of the planar surface, people do in Mocha before they bring it into AE? I didnt do this with my track data, and I was putting the data on a shape layer and text layer that I just precomped to the size of the composition.

It worked fine!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:19:40 am

[Craig Ricker] "Also, whats the deal with the align layer of the planar surface, people do in Mocha before they bring it into AE?"

mocha's Align Surface feature ensures that your insert element maintains its aspect ratio AND dimensions after applying a Corner Pin data. In your specific case, the aspect ratio isn't crucial BUT imagine if you were inserting a client's logo.

As you can imagine (visualize), it's actually quite a big deal. ;-)

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:27:07 am

So how do you exactly use it to do the above mentioned?
Is there a tutorial you can send me to? I have watched all of Steve wrights training videos at lynda.com and he never mentions its use.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 22, 2011 at 6:01:33 am

My network connection is ridiculous slow - can't do a search for you. Perhaps you can do one on your own. I have also touched on Align Surface in a number of threads, here, at the COW. FWIW, Shane Ross did produce a video tutorial on the Align Surface feature a long time ago - that's something you may want to add into your search.

I do not have access to Lynda.com's training site. Hence, I'll it as that although Steve Wright is an awesome trainer. Perhaps you will want to re-visit the tutorials there and if Align Surface isn't there, you may want to post a Q to Steve.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Nov 22, 2011 at 7:22:29 am

Hey thanks for the tips. Just a last question.

If I just want to track say the nose of a face, and put text attached to it off to the side. The face moves say from left to right and I just want the text to float off to the side keeping the same distance from their nose.

Do I just:

1. Put a spline around the nose and just track in the translation, scale and rotation.
Do i just export transformation data? Or do I use a corner pin to create a text box essentially in mocha?

2. If I wished to track perspective to make it look like the text twists if the face twists slightly, do I simply just add in perspective.

So far even after watching liek 10 different tutorials on bringing mocha tracking data into AE i'm still not getting the results all these wonderful tutorial experts are getting.

Majority just dont follow, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

I'm setting comp sizes up all the same, precomping text so its teh same size as comp etc etc.

All tutorials seem to be replacing screens on phones, which is not what i'm tryign to do.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:10:33 am

[Craig Ricker] "1. Put a spline around the nose and just track in the translation, scale and rotation.
Do i just export transformation data? Or do I use a corner pin to create a text box essentially in mocha?"

Without looking at the footage I'll have to say that both should work equally well. Take note that you will likely see some parallax as the camera moves about.

[Craig Ricker] "2. If I wished to track perspective to make it look like the text twists if the face twists slightly, do I simply just add in perspective."

You should only track with Perspectives switched on if the area you are tracking exhibits perspective changes either through innate or camera movements. FOr example, when there is a camera zoom towards the face, and let's say the face is on a side profile, tracking without perspective is sufficient and oftentimes is preferred.

There are lots of good and varied tutorials on the Imagineer Systems.
Webpage.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]