FORUMS: list search recent posts

Venetian Blinds Effect/Transition used on NBC branding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gugulan
Venetian Blinds Effect/Transition used on NBC branding
on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:05:14 pm

Does anyone know how NBC created their Venetian Blinds effect as part of their branding for shows.

Here is an example. (Appears towards the end)

Thanks,

Paul G.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Venetian Blinds Effect/Transition used on NBC branding
on Nov 2, 2011 at 1:43:50 pm

It's possibly multiple instances of CardDance with each instance applied to an Adjustment Layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Paul Gugulan
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:00:14 pm

Thank you Roland, the name of the effect is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm able to find a lot of tutorials on this. I was having trouble before because I didn't the exact name of the effect.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:36:44 pm

Cool! I hope it works out for you.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:16:37 am

I don't think this is a card dance thing, but I could be wrong. If you look at the clip it is similar to one of those 3 sided triangular billboards. It looks to me like it is a set of 24 or so triangles that turn 120 degrees to reveal the next image.

I have been trying to work out how to replicate this look, but I cant figure it out. It is a slick looking effect.

I made a comp that almost works using a comps that have 24 panels cut out of them and then put together to make a 3D comp, but the rendering order is screwing them up.

Check it out. http://f1.creativecow.net/file/3189/3189_nbcvenetianblindeffect1.aep.zip

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:20:57 am

I did this - http://www.broadcastgems.com/cubewipefx/ a while back and if what you want is triangles instead of a cube AND I think my way is quite efficient THEN what you're doing 'wrong' is having additional precomps.

I see the solution involving a 3-part comping hierarchy.
1) Source Comps - no effects that will affect the 3D aspects of the layers

2) Source Comps Sliced - The original Source Comps are placed here and sliced into their vertical parts. Each comp here is a vertical slice. You will have 24x3 total comps in this hierarchy.

3) Triangle PreComps - Composite each group of Source Comps Sliced (the previous group) ie, each Triangle Comp will contain 3 sliced comps, one from each source. Create your individual triangles in this comp.

4) Final Comp - place the Triangle PreComps here and enable Collapse Transformations. Use the Index expressions to control the y-rotations.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:44:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Roland.

I had a comp setup this way but I the layers were out of order so it didn't render correctly.

I now have this working pretty well, but it is still not exactly right.

I am getting bleed through on the edges of the triangles as they turn. I remember seeing a post about changing the blend mode to alpha add but that didn't seem to help.

http://f1.creativecow.net/file/3192/3192_nbcvenetianblindeffect.aep.zip

Also I would love to know how you control the motion with gradients. Your package looks very slick.

Thanks again for your help.
Dave

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:17:58 pm

Hi Dave, perhaps it's better that you post an image of what you mean by 'bleed through'. My AE machine will be tied up for a while.

As for working with gradients, I used the sampleImage Expression method.

Cheers
Roland

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:40:06 pm

http://f1.creativecow.net/file/3194/3194_trianglesmaster.mp4.zip

Perhaps this will help. This is a rendered out version of the comp I uploaded. When the triangles turn I can see through the edges of where side A and B meet onto the back side of side C.

Let me know if that makes sense at all.

Thanks,
DB

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:00:22 pm

Did you apply Alpha Add to the precomps or to the final comp? If you have Collapsed Transformation switched on, then they should be applied to the precomps.

Another option is to set each nested comp in the final comp to draft quality. This will prevent anti-aliasing from kicking in and thus prevent the back layers from showing through. Hopefully this won't destroy the look.

BTW, what you have looks pretty good. Perhaps adding shadows may also help to mask the issues you have with the back layers.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:52:58 pm

I tried the alpha add but that didn't seem to help all that much.

I did find 2 tricks to make it a little better. The one that works the best is to create smaller triangles that are all black that sit inside the original triangles. This was pretty easy to do and works ok. The effect isn't spot on, but it is getting closer.

I have been working on the sampleImage expression and I have managed to make that turn the triangles when driven be a gradient.

target = thisComp.layer("GRAD");
darkgray = target.sampleImage([80, 200],[3.5, 3.5])[0];
linear (darkgray, 0, .33, 0, 120);

What I can't work out is how to use the gradient to make the rotation move the other way. Right now I have it setup with a black solid and a 33% gray solid that animates from right to left. That works just fine.

Perhaps it is impossible but what I would like is to have the layer look at another gradient, something like 33%-66% gray, and have the value increase on top of what I already have. So the first gradient takes the Y rotation from 0-120 and the second takes it from what ever the rotation is currently to 240.

Any idea on this?

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:31:05 pm

Or or something like this...

target = thisComp.layer("GRAD");
red = target.sampleImage([80, 200],[3.5, 3.5])[0];
green = target.sampleImage([80, 200],[3.5, 3.5])[1]
linear (red, 0, 1, transform.yRotation, 120);
linear (green, 0, 1, transform.yRotation, 240);

I have a layer "GRAD" with a black solid as the base. Then I animate a red solid across so now the layer is filled with red. Then I animate a layer of green across so the layer is filled with green.

This expression doesn't seem to work for the red gradient, but it does work for the green. If I delete the 2 lines that index the green channel it works, but I want both to work.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:49:29 am

I believe that my sampleImage only looked at an image's RGB luminance value without having to dive into the individual RGB channels.

BTW, the reason why the Red Channel doesn't work is because it is being overridden by the Green Channel as per how your script is written. Your two linear Expression methods work similarly, but the second one will override the first. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:17:01 pm

http://vimeo.com/davebode/nbceffect

I think I have it worked out now. Check it out.

I worked out a different way to get them to spin how I wanted. It probably is not the most elegant but I can make the triangles spin to the right, to the left, and just make half of them spin left and half right from the same gradient layer.

I think this looks pretty hot now.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:45:56 pm

That looks very nice Dave! If you don't mind sending me the AEP, my email is rork_AT_broadcastgems_DOT_com

I've got a couple of ideas to add into the mix.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Paul Connors
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:46:33 pm

Hey Dave,

Is there any way i could get a copy of your AE project file for this Vimeo version of the venetian blinds? It turned out great and I really want to get in their and dissect it!

Great job!

-Paul

Return to posts index

George DeFrates
on Dec 24, 2011 at 4:37:08 pm

Hi David,

I love this effect you've put together. I do photo-videos for family and freinds and I was hoping you could send me a copy of this AEP so I could use it on some photos and see how it is put together.

My email is gdefrates@aol.com.

Thanks, David.

George

George

Return to posts index

Brandon Jones
on Dec 26, 2011 at 1:33:13 am

Hello David,

Congratulations--great effect! Would you mind sharing your project with a fellow artist?

brandon.jones@loi.org

Many thanks in advance!

Brandon Jones
Producer/Editor
Life Today Television
http://www.lifetoday.org

Return to posts index

kel russin
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:46:23 pm

Hi David,
Can you please give me a hint as to how you solved the "bleed" problem? The vertical tiles look like they lock perfectly into place when I keyframe through the comp, but when played out I get the bleed through you mentioned. Any help would be great. Awesome comp, by the way.
Many thanks,
Kelly

Return to posts index

David Bode
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:30:02 am

I placed a set of triangles inside of the source comps, made them black, and scaled them to 98%. In the final comp with the camera I made an adjustment layer to control opacity that I linked to the adjustment layers in the source comp A and B and keyframed their opacity out every time side C was on. For what ever reason the side on 240 degrees had a bleed that I could not fix.

I made a tutorial on this that should be on AEtutsplus.com some time this week.

DB

Return to posts index

Josh Malyn
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:20:44 pm

Beautiful stuff Dave! I've been looking for something like this for a while now although I'm not on the level of you and Roland. I'll be looking for the tut on AEtuts. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]