FORUMS: list search recent posts

expressions advice: multiple layers wiggling position separately random but adjustable by one "controller" layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy webb
expressions advice: multiple layers wiggling position separately random but adjustable by one "controller" layer
on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:18:46 pm

my apologies, I didn't realize there was a expressions-specific forum. I have reposted there.

Hello, I have a comp that has a lot of layers that I want to wiggle in x and z position. I want them all move to a different position each frame but not as a group. I also want to be able to adjust approximately how much they move from one control laye

what I have tried is using the seperate xyz preset and putting the wiggle expression on and for amplitude, pickwhipping a slider effect on a null layer. but this seemed to make them all move the same as if they were parented.

how would i go about doing this

I am not very good with expressions, but am trying to hack together something that works and would really appreciate any help

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: expressions advice: multiple layers wiggling position separately random but adjustable by one "controller" layer
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:14:51 am

Two sliders will allow for better control.

Create a Null Layer and rename it Controller.
Apply 4 Expression Sliders to the Controller Layer and rename them as follows:
1) X Frequency
2) X Amplitude
3) Z Frequency
4) Z Amplitude

Then paste the following script into the first layer that you want to affect. Then select its position property and select, from the Menu, Edit > Copy Expression Only. Then select all the other layers you want to affect and paste (CTRL + V)

//Start of Script
[wiggle(thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("X Frequency")("Slider"),thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("X Amplitude")("Slider"))[0],value[1],wiggle(thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Z Frequency")("Slider"),thisComp.layer("Controller").effect("Z Amplitude")("Slider"))[2]]
// End of Script

Take note that Frequency affects the number of times per second the wiggle kicks in while amplitude is the maximum deviation (in +ve and -ve aspects) of the affected value/property.

The Slider values can of course be keyframed to suit your needs. Lots of other ways to skin this cat but hopefully this is a start from which you can tweak the result to better suit your needs.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

jeremy webb
Re: expressions advice: multiple layers wiggling position separately random but adjustable by one "controller" layer
on Oct 28, 2011 at 7:46:51 pm

thanks so much roland! the cat has been sufficiently skinned and I have retained control of the skinning details.

much appreciated

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:49:49 am

Awesome news Jeremy!

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Adam Goddard
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:19:47 am

Hi I am trying to use this expression technique - how do I get it to wiggle the 'y' axis?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]