FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I transform an image into a different design?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Granite Toe
How can I transform an image into a different design?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:41:20 pm

I've used the Distort effects in AE to modify the following video:

Into this:

I'm a pretty pleased with the results. However, I have a bunch of other designs which I can't distort into a good alternative design. Here is an example:

I am hoping some of you very clever people can come up with a method I can use for transforming this sort of design into something decent!

Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: How can I transform an image into a different design?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:23:04 pm

Have you tried Mesh Warp?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:44:48 pm

That's an extremely broad question. It's hard to give someone advice on creating something without knowing what they're trying to create.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:56:36 pm

Try Effects > Stylize > CC Kaleida.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Granite Toe
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:26:26 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I realise this is a broad question. I will elaborate on the images from my first post in order to provide more details:

1) I have generated a number of animated designs, the blue image when animated looks like moving electricity. All of the designs are geometric patterns of one form or another. I have around 50 of these designs.

2) I want to create variations on these geometric animations. Rather than start from scratch and create a brand new design (which is a lengthy process), I want to use the effects in After Effects to create variations. In the example I provided, I took the blue design and used a number of effects to create the green design.

3) Essentially, I now have two different animations. The blue original, and the green variation.

4) Here is my question. Are there any specific effects within After Effects, that allow me to distort an image/animation to such a degree that it essentially looks like a different image/animation? So far, I have used Transform and Mirror.

I gave Kaleidoscope a try, and that gave some good results, so thanks for that suggestion.

5) The problem I am having is that some of my other designs are more or less 'symmetrical' in appearance - like the yellow image from my first post. The Transform, Mirror and Kaleidoscope effects do not really distort the symmetrical animations enough. This is because they simply tend to either rotate the image (which is a circle, so rotating it does little), or they mirror the design (which again does little as the image is a circle). So, are there any other effects I can choose which will distort a symmetrical geometrical design, whilst still retaining a degree of geometric appearance?

I thank you again for your time, it really is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:33:08 pm

I would suggest taking multiple copies of these animations, and putting them in 3D layers in AE, positioning them so as to be centered on each other, but rotated 90 degrees on the x and y axes. Then put the layers on top into Additive Mode, create a camera, and rotate the camera in various ways to give you different looks. You can also fly the camera in z space, giving you entirely different looks, depending on the cross-section you're looking at.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:50:26 pm

CC Flo Motion will be interesting to look at. And of the Mettle/FreeForm products will also allow for interesting displacements

You should also look into using AE's Brainstorm function.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:13:27 pm

Granite Toe. Send me some of these images and I will show you some really neat things you can create with FreeForm Pro and/or ShapeShifter AE with these. It gets even more interesting when you used animated sequences or pre-comps. Any way. I think I can have some fun with the stills - send me either 1280 x 720 stills or 1920 x 1080. If I have piqued your curiosity then send 'em over to me at chris@mettle.com

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:15:40 pm

Here is one I just created using one of your low res images you uploaded to the COW. It took no time at all to do this.

I zoomed in quite a bit so the quality is poor because I only have a very low res image that you uploaded. Send me something with more res and I will send you the results.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Granite Toe
on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:57:47 pm

Thanks for that Chris! That result is very impressive indeed!

I have sent you an e-mail with an 1080p res. file of the same image. :)

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:01:17 pm

Cool... I will look out for it. Send the others as well I am a sucker for abstracts :) I will create some animated sequences and post them to the video section.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Granite Toe
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:10:59 pm

That's great thanks.

If it's not a problem can I ask that you not post the video you create in high-def. The images are for an upcoming commercial product so there are copyright issues involved.

I'm happy for 360p or 480p videos to be posted though, it will be great to see what you can come up with! :)

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:17:39 am

FreeForm Pro For Granite Toe

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Granite Toe
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:01:54 am

That's an excellent result! I like the 3D appearance in now has.

I'm gonna have a think about how that could be used, maybe FreeForm is going to be an option.

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 29, 2011 at 3:15:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words. This was done with FreeForm Pro not FreeForm V2 or FreeForm the bundled version. I used the built-in Generator in FreeForm Pro to do achieve this effect.

ShapeShifter AE also has the generator built-in.

I would love to see more of what you do. Please post links.

HTH

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]