FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening Premiere Sequence in AE Doesn't Keep Cuts?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Way
Opening Premiere Sequence in AE Doesn't Keep Cuts?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:30:01 pm

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to premiere, always been a Final Cut Studio user (switching for obvious reasons).

My understanding of PP/AE integration is you can save a cut sequence in premiere, open that up in AE, add effects etc... then save and the effects will be present in PP.

But when I import a basic PP sequence into AE (just 3 clips, some basic motion, nothing special) and I add it to a new comp it shows up as one long clip. I was under the impression it should seperate all the clips to seperate layers so I can add effects on a clip-by-clip basis.

Can anyone advise?

I'm editing using the PP DSLR settings (nice not having to re encode to prores) at 720p24.
Using PP & AE CS5.5.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Opening Premiere Sequence in AE Doesn't Keep Cuts?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:40:45 pm

There are two ways to import a sequence into After Effects:

1. Drag the sequence from the media bin of Premiere to the media bin of After Effects while both programs are open. This is a 'dynamic link' and imports the sequence as one block.

2. In After Effects, go to File > Import > Premiere Pro Project. This will import the files and sequences from a project. Each sequence will be converted to an AE sequence with each cut as discrete layers.

Going back to #1 just like when you dynamically link in an AE comp into Premiere, you don't see the comp layers, you see it as one chunk -- when you dynamically link a PPro sequence into AE, you don't see the cuts, you see one chunk.

It looks like #2 is more your route, but since you can't really reverse the process, it's more for finishing that for back-and-forth.

- Angelo Lorenzo
-

- http://FilmsFor.Us Sell your film and connect with your audience

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:51:11 pm

Method 2 is what I did and all it did was import the sequence and it was just one long block, no cuts etc...?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:01:24 pm

[Lucas Way] "But when I import a basic PP sequence into AE (just 3 clips, some basic motion, nothing special) and I add it to a new comp it shows up as one long clip"

This makes me think you're nesting your converted Premiere Pro comp into another comp. When you do File > Import, it creates a new set of media bin folders that mimic how your media bin looked in Premiere, dig through it and click on the comp. It should open straight up with the layers, no reason to nest it.

If you look at the icon next to the timeline you imported, is it a little filmstrip with some geometric shapes? This is what you want. If it looks like a timeline with a hard to make out icon of a yellow chain, this is a dynamic link and you don't want that.

- Angelo Lorenzo
-

- http://FilmsFor.Us Sell your film and connect with your audience

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:54:05 pm

When I import the premiere.prog I get a dialog box asking me to pick my sequence, I choose my created sequence (the only one I have) and it imports just one file, no nest of media folders, bins etc... the symbol next to the imported sequence is sort of what you described. Under 'type' it is listed as an adobe dynamic link'.

When I click on the file it opens like a video clip would, when i add it to a comp, it works like one clip, no cuts, layers etc...

I'm sure I'm being stupid.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:47:31 am

If you import using File > Import > File and then choose a Premiere Pro project, then you are using Dynamic Link to link to a sequence as if it's one footage item.

If you import using File > Import > Adobe Premiere Pro project, then you actually import the sequences as individual pieces. (The pieces are converted using exactly the same code and caveats as when you copy and paste between Premiere Pro and After Effects.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:31:25 pm

Importing the PPro Project should create comps for you already in AE.

So opening the comp (double clicking it) will give you the independent clips as layers.

If you add one of the comps to another comp....that's nesting (aka precomping) and thats' why you don't see the cuts.

Alex

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:48:32 pm

It wasn't that, it was me importing it wrong.

I was just double clicking to import, creating a dynamic link. Didn't realise you had to go to import>PP project.

Sorted.

Thanks for the help both of you.

Return to posts index

Rob Neal
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:04:35 pm

I am having the same problem. I did it a couple of weeks back and it all worked, but now I try again and I have just one single layer with no cuts. It doesn't matter whether I import directly into the AE project or use Dynamic link. This is not pilot error, I am certain there is a bug of sorts going on here.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Shera
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:49:47 am

I recently had the exact same problem. No matter how I went about importing a Premiere Pro project, it would always import as a Dynamic Link. The problem became apparent after choosing File > Import > Adobe Premiere Pro Project. I would select the Premiere project I wanted to import, and down the bottom of the Finder window it said something like "Import as Adobe Premiere Pro Project Dynamic Link" and there was absolutely no option to turn this off. So I restarted After Effects and the problem went away, but it was certainly the first time it's ever happened to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]