FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking motion so I can insert text on a video that was shot on a slider

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike simckowitz
Tracking motion so I can insert text on a video that was shot on a slider
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:07:52 am

So I have a shot that i shot with a slider its moving into a head board with shoes hanging on it and i am trying to track the motion so i can have text scale properly as if it were sitting on the cool iron head board.... Here is my attempt but the text is jumpy... if anyone can give me specific details it would be a big help!

michael.simckowitz@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
Re: Tracking motion so I can insert text on a video that was shot on a slider
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:18:20 am

Hey Mike

What did you use to track this--If you didnt use Mocha or Mocha AE - I would definitely look into that. Its easy to figure out and a life and time saver

Matt

Return to posts index

mike simckowitz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:30:58 am

I don't know much about after effects only learned few things from video copilot. not too sure about moca. I used after effects had my video later then made seperate text layer for each letter, then created a null object tracked the rotation position and scale of video layer then applied that to null object, then used the pick whip and parented the text layers to the null. I think my problem is in the tracking points... I really need to kno how to setup the motion track. also what is moca all about?

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:41:44 am

Mocha can do all you did in probably one step-No kidding

watch this video -its an overview --dont let it scare ya -its actually not hard learning it -watch these 2 videos and you will see

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-ae-v2.5/view

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mochav2_quickstart_tutorial.m4v/view

Return to posts index

mike simckowitz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:27:54 pm

hey Matt I don't like guys but I could kiss you right now! mocha is beyond awesome I will post the video

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:40:55 pm

haha no worries Mike --watch a couple into videos on mocha and what you wanna do you will find is pretty easy. If you have AE --you should already have Mocha AE in your applications folder on your main hard drive --Every version of AE now comes with Mocha AE --if you dont have it-you need ot make sure everything is updated.

I am using Mocha right now if you couldnt see from my thread-Something that is giving me a few issues but is so simple-UGGGH ha

Have fun

Matt

Return to posts index

mike simckowitz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:15:23 pm

I spoke too soon... complications importing into ae even with the preset I dl from ae presets... fml. I wanna hire someone to do it but unfortunately I can only pay with peanuts....

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:28:20 pm

Lost me there --what do you mean AE Preset? You should be able to open your clip in Mocha -draw around an object to track and export the tracking data from Mocha as "transform" and then have your footage in AE in one layer and your text on another layer and paste the tracking data on the text layer and you should see that your text will follow the movement of the video.

after you figure that out -then you can put your text where you want it on your video

Make sure you paste your data and move your text on the first frame-becuase your tracking data should start on frame 1

Matt

Return to posts index

mike simckowitz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:31:38 pm

yeah i was on my iphone but anyway i realized I have mocha already installed it seems kinda simple and cool it tracked the data but now my problem is getting the tracking data into ae and having it work properly. I downloaded a script from aepresents.com mochaimport but now i am going to try to figure out how to just copy and paste like you said...

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:01:41 pm

More often than not I use a 3D camera tracker for this sort of thing. Just because the results are so dang good, and the process is much less 'tweaky'.
PFHoe Pro can do this very (I mean very) quickly, and give you a perfect track (esp. when used in conjunction with my 3D track preflight script).

If you have absolutely no budget at all, and you're on Windows, you can maybe use Voodoo tracker.

But you do have to be good at working in the planar 3D world (w/camera) in AE, and you have to be good at perspective (and it doesn't hurt to know lenses pretty well).

-cg

Return to posts index

mike simckowitz
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:19:27 pm

thanks for the info. I literally kno a fraction about ae that you know. I only learn stuff from video copilot and reading on creative cow. I have it worked it now I just tracked it using mocha and parented the text to a null that I imported the tracking data too. it kinda works normal people won't see it and it's only a wedding video.... my problem is a combination of lack of ae knowledge plus I shot it really super wide angle which I feel effects the tracking... honestly thanks you guys for responding. anyone kno what someone would charge to create a clip like this if I provide the video file and choose a font?

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:31:24 pm

Before I posted, just for fun I did a track to your video in about 15 minutes using PFHoe Pro. I'll send you the project if you want. It's at 1280x720. The tricky part of working with it is knowing how to utilize the 3D space, and what planes to use to put the text in there. Do you have more of these?

Also, since I did this from (originally) an flv, the frame it starts on may be hard to find with your own movie (I had to start several frames in).

Shoot me an email (crgreen [AT] crgreen [DOT] com) and I'll send you the project, and I can explain some of the particulars.

-cg

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:10:58 am

Regarding the difficulty with getting the tracking data back into After Effects from mocha: It sounds like you're over-complicating things.

Here's a video that shows how extremely simple this is:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-4351.htm

Yes, you can do even better and more advanced work with scripts like mochaImport, but it's not necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]