FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
Scaling
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:55:57 pm

I want to fly through a treble clef and fly along the staff lines. The treble clef is larger then my composition which is good because i don't want it to look pixelated when i do the fly through.

The staff and treble clef are a single graphic. I have scaled down the graphic and I have modified the staff lines so that they extend further then they did in the original graphic by duplicating and cropping layers.

I have precomposed all the layers that now make up my treble clef and staff. Now when I set up the fly through my graphic is pixelated.

How can a build this so that my graphic retains it's original size and does not look pixelated during the fly through?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Scaling
on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:42:21 pm

It's very likely that your graphic isn't sufficiently large. Try to use a vector image instead and switch on Continuously Rasterize.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:07:50 pm

[Paul Rozon] "I have precomposed all the layers that now make up my treble clef and staff. Now when I set up the fly through my graphic is pixelated."

Roland's suggestion to use vector graphics is a good one.

I'll add a little about how precomps work in AE.

When you use a precomp in another composition, by default, AE renders the precomp, rasterizing it at its native size, then composites it into the main comp as if it were any other graphic source. In other words, if your precomp is 1920x1080, AE will treat it as if it were a 1920x1080 graphic, and no matter how big your original sources within the precomp are, scaling the precomp over 100% will pixelate.

However, if the Collapse transformations layer switch [link] for a precomp is on, then AE will not rasterize the precomp first. Instead, it will combine all the transforms into a single operation. (So scaling an item down to 50% within the precomp, and then scaling the precomp itself up to 200% in the main comp will result in no change and no pixelation). This will help you preserve resolution if your sources are very high res.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:58:43 pm

This looks like the solution to my problem. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:55:15 pm

Walter

Just got back to this project and your suggestion worked a charm. Unfortunately when I select COLLAPSE TRANSFORMATIONS the motion blur is disabled.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:57:30 pm

[Paul Rozon] "Just got back to this project and your suggestion worked a charm. Unfortunately when I select COLLAPSE TRANSFORMATIONS the motion blur is disabled. Am I missing something?"

Think of Collapse Transformations kind of like pulling the layers within a precomp back into the main comp. You must now go into your precomps and enable motion blur for each layer, since motion blur is no longer meaningful for the precomp itself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 19, 2011 at 8:05:10 pm

Thanks again for the quick response. All is working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]