FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing 8 bit and 32 Bit within Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Kirk
Mixing 8 bit and 32 Bit within Comps
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:43:05 pm

Hello,

Another little glitch I've run in to. I'm using 3D stroke to create a cool neon like stroke which is in a comp at 32 bit but I want to composite it in to another comp at 8 bit.

Is this even possible? I noticed right away when I add it to main comp it changes the whole thing to 32 bit which then messes up some coloring in that.

Appreciate some help on this.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric D. Kirk
http://www.kirkproductions.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Mixing 8 bit and 32 Bit within Comps
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:03:14 pm

Bit depth of your working space is set at a project level. So once you switch to 32bpc, every composition in your project is working in 32bpc. Source assets may still be 8 or 16bpc but they exist within 32bpc compositions.

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what's happening to the colors in your main comp. If you can provide some more detail about what you're doing (are you importing to/from other projects? what footage is in your main comp? did you linearize your working space?) then I might have a more specific answer.

All that said, you may have a couple of options:

1. You can apply a Levels effect to the pre-comp you're adding to your main comp then change Clip Output to Black and Clip Output to White to "On." This will clip values greater than white or less than black and effectively give you only the portion of color that you would be working with in 8 or 16bpc.

2. If you render to a file that only supports 8bpc you can bring that rendered footage back into the project and it will only have 8bpc.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eric Kirk
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:59:30 pm

Hi Darby,

Thanks for the reply. I am attaching 2 screen captures to show you what it is doing.

I will have to try the clip output option you mentioned but otherwise, not sure why it is doing what it's doing.

Here is the link for a screenshot I made:

3046_8and32bit.jpg.zip

Eric

Eric D. Kirk

Return to posts index

Eric Kirk
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:28:31 pm

Well, it seems I was able to figure a work around to resolve my 8 bit and 32 bit issue. I ended up deleting an unecessary layer but there were still some settings that turned out much brighter when changed to 32 bit.

I guess the lesson learned is start with 32 if you intend to get there. Although in this case, I had no idea I would end up using something in 32 bit later. :)

Thanks for the pointers though.

Eric

Eric D. Kirk

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 10, 2011 at 5:12:39 pm

So it looks like the same composition in the same project and you're switching from 8bcp to 32bpc. That helps some :)

Unfortunately the screenshot you linked to doesn't have enough information to find out exactly what the problem is exactly. To triage the composition I would first recommend turning layers off/on down the list to find the layer that is causing the blow out in the center there. The problem is most likely with an effect applied to that layer possibly in concert with its blending mode.

I wish I could be more helpful but this is really one of those situations where I'd have to sit down with the file to be able to tell you exactly what's wrong.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eric Kirk
on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:26:56 pm

Darby,

Yes, that was right, just a before and after to see the effect I was against. I naturally, did the selective on/off thing until I identified the problem area and then as it turned out, I was able to just removed an unecessary layer anyway.

So, at this point it is good to go. It did however cause some other colors to get brighter but I was able to fix those individually.

Appreciate it.

Eric

Eric D. Kirk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]