FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different Framerates in different compositions in one project?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gejanne Hoekstra
Different Framerates in different compositions in one project?!
on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:55:15 am

Houston we've got a problem!

I've been working on a project in After Effects, with different compositions, which I use in other compositions in the same project.
(So composition 1 is part of composition 2, and 2 (which includes comp1) and composition 3 is part of composition 4 again...is that a little clear?)
Anyways. The original footage is filmed at 24 fps (that's the first mistake, for dvd we need 25 fps right?) and the compositions have different framerates; 24, 25 and 30
24 is the one with the original footage, 25 is an CC Kaleida effect that goes over it, and 30 is a rotoscope.
Everything is timed very precisely is the music and moving image.
When previewing I do not see any problems in timing. But I do not know how that is gonna be when I save it to dvd.

So now my question is;
Does AE solves this problem itself? Or do I have to reset all the compositions to 25fps?
(I did this btw. everything to 25fps, but now when rendering it skips one frame, I think every 25th frame. And I think this is because the original footage is only 24fps.)

What is the best thing for me to do before go any further with my project and have to start all over again in the end? Can I still save my project or not?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Different Framerates in different compositions in one project?!
on Sep 30, 2011 at 3:12:25 pm

first off, if all you're comp's had just key framed animations (no footage or any rendered elements), ae will re-interpolate those animations to match the settings of the final comp... unless you happen to 'preserve framerate' in the advanced settings of a nested comp, but that's not too common.

so you could have a 24fps comp with key framed animations that you rendered in a 60 fps comp, and that animation will look like 60fps. so that's not a problem.

the footage frame rate is more of a problem, and if that 24fps footage was rotoscoped in a 30fps comp, then there is probably an issue every 5th frame... how noticeable that is may come down to how tight the roto work is. if you step through the roto comp frame by frame do you see any issues? like a duplicate frame for the footage every 5th frame but the key framed roto moves along smoothly? at this point i'd say if it looks good, then you are ok.

as far as dvd's being 25fps, dvd's can be 24fps (actually 23.976), 25fps (pal), 29.97fps (ntsc), so it mainly comes down to what kind of dvd you are creating... if your 30fps comp is really 29.97 and you are burning a ntsc dvd, then you are fine.

for future workflows, you should always base a project on the final delivery specs...

if the final delivery/destination is ntsc dvd, then the footage should have been shot either 29.97fps or 23.976fps, the frame size should be 720x480, and the pixel aspect should be either .91 for 4x3 or 1.21 for 16x9.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Gejanne Hoekstra
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:52:01 am

Thank you!

So you're saying that if it looks good, I'd probably be fine just working further in the project that I am working in right now?

And yes I know I should always base a project on the final delivery specs... Don't know what went wrong. Guess my enthusiasm wasn't quite good for my concentration...

Thank you for your advice!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:19:59 am

Kevin's advice is great.

I did want to add that DVDs do support 24p (technically 23.976 fps), and that many 24p productions are simply conformed to 25fps as the final step for European distribution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]