FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode particular over twixtor, water drop problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Roberts
Trapcode particular over twixtor, water drop problems
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:49:20 am

I have a 720p clip shot at 50fps and retimed with the twixtor plug-in of a wake skater doing a trick.

However I want to add realistic slow motion water particles flying towards the lens when the shot slows to time remapped section in the middle, to try and hide the fact that it’s slowed with twixtor, I’ve spent half a day playing around with the trap code particular plug-in with no luck, I have however made a realistic water droplet composition using trap code form to use in particular, but I have just been using default particles to set up the particle movement before adding the custom particle from form as rendering takes to long.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to achieve this effect with particular? I very new to this plug and at bit of a dead end.

Here is a good example of this effect being used, however this clip uses the water drops as rain, where in my case I want it to look like the drops are coming off the board and flying towards the camera.

My video footage is below.
Any help is appreciated!

video example

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Trapcode particular over twixtor, water drop problems
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:13:26 pm

Maybe you can find this tutorial helpful:
http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/create-a-breathtakingly-awesome-rain-s...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mike Roberts
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:38:14 pm

Thanks, I had already been through this tutorial 3 or 4 times, all I could mange to do was build a realistic drop in form and grade it to match the scene, getting the particles to move the way I want them to however has left me very frustrated!

Return to posts index

Mike Roberts
on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:30:32 am

here is my best attempt based on the tutorial you posted, I just can't seem to get the particles to move any slower, the velocity is set to 0.0, and i've mucked around with the air physics to no avail,

My AE project file is attached

test

3001_waterdrops.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:07:18 am

Hi,

Looks like the Wind settings under the Air parameters are pushing the particles around in Z quite a lot. If you set all the Wind direction forces to 0, everything stops moving. Although, if you want a bunch of particles hanging around and not moving much, Form might be a better bet than Particular.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Mike Roberts
on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:13:04 am

Thank you this really helped!! I've built the particle in form then using it in particular, no idea where to start trying to build this effect in form

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:20:06 am

The main difference between Particular and Form is that, in Particular, particles are born, fly around according to your settings, and then die, but generally they're moving the whole time. With Form, the particles are there all the time, just hanging around, and that can make life easier in some situations.

For your shot, you might be able to get the effect you want by using Particular to fling the water drops around and then using the Physics time factor parameter to slow things down when you get to the time-remapping part of your footage.

The alternative would be to use Form to spread out the particles, add some fractal noise to the size and position to randomize things, and then move the AE camera through the water drops to get the effect you want. The change in speed could be achieved by playing with the graph editor for your camera key-frames.

Hope that helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]