FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Storm in Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Kirk
Snow Storm in Particular
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:59:56 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of a specific tutorial for making a pretty realistic snow storm in TC Particular?

I've searched all over and there sure don't seem to be any decent ones. In fact, I'm quite surprised at how little I can find.

I am looking over the Michael Park Christmas scene but look for something approaching blizzard like.

Appreciate the help.

Eric

Eric D. Kirk
http://www.kirkproductions.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Snow Storm in Particular
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:48:23 am

What specific issues do have with Michael's example? Perhaps that will allow folks to help you out.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:42:58 pm

Particular is very powerful, but as you're seeing, getting a nice snow storm can require some tweaking.

I like GenArts M_Snow and Digieffects DE SnowStorm quite a bit -- they're both specialized snow particle systems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eric Kirk
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:14:02 pm

Thanks. I do have DE snow storm but not sure I am too pleased with it but to give credit, I am not well versed in using it.

The snow flakes were very rounded and maybe there is a setting for that.

I got to a pretty good point with Particular, which I love and wish I could attach the draft here.

Also, DE kept crashing, especially if I used the "pile up" setting. It was pretty scary because when it opens back up, you are in a loop with the crash and BETTER have a previous version of your AE project.

Maybe I need to post my own tutorial now. :)

Eric

Eric D. Kirk
http://www.kirkproductions.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:10:51 pm

I've done a couple snowstorms with Particular, too, and I think the biggest challenge with making blizzards in Particular is getting a good, organic-looking wind and swirls.

For wind, I've just done a lot of trial-and-error with Bezier handles on wind keyframes. I've used a blizzard sound effect and tried to match the visuals to the audio for a good feel on the pacing and strength of the gusts.

For swirls, I'll set up multiple systems; a main background system, and a hero foreground system (or a set of systems). The hero system gets swirls via Particular's motion paths.

I haven't had to pile up snow in a shot, but I'd probably approach it with multiple systems like the swirls and a floor layer.

I think a tutorial here would be good -- snow seems like a slam-dunk for a general particle system like Particular, but making it look realistic requires a bit more work than you'd think at first glance.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]