FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiprocessing Settings and 32 bit renders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Morris
Multiprocessing Settings and 32 bit renders
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:01:53 pm

First off, is it possible to render out an mov in 32bits instead of a PSD sequence?
Or is it possible to set a post-render action to transcode the PSD sequence to a ProRes HQ 16bit mov?

And what should I set my RAM and CPU at for the Multiprocessing settings, I have a 12-core Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM.

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Multiprocessing Settings and 32 bit renders
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:22:26 pm

I'd render the image sequence, then use a post-render action to stitch the movie.

See Adobe's recommended memory settings for a starting point.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:22:28 pm

I don't see an option to stitch in post render, I only see the option to import the sequence into the project.
I was hoping to automatically export to a self contained quicktime of my choice.

I've looked at the Adobe recommended settings and looked elsewhere.
I was just curious for my CPU and RAM settings, what I should start out at for each settings.

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:28:15 pm

The settings look pretty good to me, but you miss the gist of my question: why do you feel the need for a 32-bit media file?

They're certainly valid to make, but you have to remember that the maximum bit depth of any final-delivery file is 10-bit color. If you're only working in an 8 or 16-bit comp, it's fruitless to render 32-bit color; you get nothing extra.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:32:01 pm

I've been curious of how that is normally done with 32 bits rendered out and then broadcasted.

But for some projects, I made a firework display with particular and then added starglow.
In 32 bits, the glow was extremely better, even after I exported out as 32 bit psd sequence and converted to 16bit HQ ProRes.

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:34:11 pm

I usually select the comp I want to render, then add it to the render queue as a best-settings proxy image sequence. Then I add the comp to the render queue again, this time as a movie, with proxy use enabled.

I suppose you could alternately pre-comp your original comp. Add the original to the render queue as an image sequence with "Import & replace usage" as the post-render action. Add the pre-comp to the queue as a movie.

In both cases, AE will first render the comp as an image sequence, then read the sequence back in and render it as a movie.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:00:37 pm

That's genius!

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:27:32 pm

[Brandon Morris] "...is it possible to render out an mov in 32bits instead of a PSD sequence?"

There are no 32-bit quicktime codecs available. The best you can do in Apple-Land would be ProRes 4444. But 99 times out of a hundred, ProRes 4444 is overkill.

Since I see that you shoot on a t2i, it definitely would be overkill. The camera itself only records 8-bit color, and all those extra bits aren't going to help reinvent colors that aren't there.

If you used the footage in a 32-bit comp and did glows, used blend modes, etc. you can keep a lot of the look by simply rendering to good ol' ProRes 422. You'll get the same look as you would in HQ or 4444, plus save yourself a lot of storage space in the process.

[Brandon Morris] "And what should I set my RAM and CPU at for the Multiprocessing settings, I have a 12-core Mac Pro with 64GB of RAM."

Have you read this?

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:27:21 pm

I haven't updated that signature in awhile, but we also shoot a lot of projects on the HPX170, HPX500, and the RED One, and soon the RED Epic & RED Scarlet. But I was really looking at in the sense of After Effects and Motion Graphics for things like Glows, Blurs, Gradients, etc. I usually use ProRes HQ 422, but things like Starglow look noticeably better in 32 bits.

I believe I've looked at that reference for the RAM, just curious what people here recommend for my settings.

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:07:07 pm

[Brandon Morris] "...just curious what people here recommend for my settings."

It depends on what you're doing. Here are a couple of extreme examples:

AE can accommodate still images up to 30,000x30,000 -- if you wanted to work with a layer like that, requiring a lot of memory just to create the image, you'd cut way back on the number of processors, and give each one a lot more RAM.

If you were given a job involved in working with 640x480 footage in a 640x480 comp, you'd probably want to max out the number of processors... within reason, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:12:26 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "f you were given a job involved in working with 640x480 footage in a 640x480 comp, you'd probably want to max out the number of processors... within reason, of course."

Todd Kopriva says there's a performance plateau around 8-10 threads:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/891262

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:59:30 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Todd Kopriva says there's a performance plateau around 8-10 threads:"

In my own use I've found the lowest common denominator to be lower, but that probably has a lot to do with the varied sort of work I'm doing. If I have time to tweak to find the right balance of processes to RAM usage for the project then I may save some much needed render time, but in my day to day work I usually cap the prefs at 4 processes with 2GB of RAM each.

I've found that the potential slow downs associated with getting these settings wrong outweigh the benefit of saving time by tweaking settings. The 4 process and 2GB of RAM amount to about a quarter of the computer's available resources, but it's the best I can do to keep things chugging along predictably :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]