FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Tracking To Replace Jersey Color and Number

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Lowery
Motion Tracking To Replace Jersey Color and Number
on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:06:21 am

Hello All,

I want to edit video of one of my collegiate basketball players and change his jersey color and number to that of an European professional team.
First, is this possible? I was thinking it may be easier to just change his number, which I would be OK with but, I would like to also change his jersey as well.
I don't even know where to start with this. Are there any tutorials of similar interest?
I would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.
Thank for your time!

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
Re: Motion Tracking To Replace Jersey Color and Number
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:07:21 am

Of course anything is possible. I guess it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into this. And since this wasn't a planned post production visual effect, you will most definitely have lumps to take. Mocha is great at tracking things like the flat side of a shirt. I would start off by just trying to change the jersey numbers and see how feasible the endeavor is.

P.S. Are we talking more than one or two 5 second shots? The connotation I get from your post is that the "video" you want to edit is substantial.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:21:09 am

Changing the color will be much, much easier than changing the number.

Some motion tracking and rotoscoping (and maybe just a rough job, not so precise) will allow you specify what part of the scene to affect with something like the Change To Color effect. (This video shows a simplified version, using a different color adjustment effect; and this video shows an approach using the Roto Brush tool.)

But deforming a number to match the movement and wrinkles in a number on a moving piece of cloth---Yikes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Greg Lowery
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:03:17 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. To give you a better idea, the video will be a highlight tape with several 2-5 second clips, I would estimate a total of 1 to 2 minutes max for video. The video will be quickly paced and go from clip to clip

Most of the video will be dunks where the jersey is stretched out and number clearly visible.

Are there any tuts on mocha or ae that would help me solve this task?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:31:14 am

resources for mocha

I don't envy you in this task.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:36:14 am

I've just put up a Work-in-Progress promo video for one of my upcoming courses. At the start of the video is a t-shirt track. It actually looks more difficult than it is. Here's the link - http://www.broadcastgems.com/mediascreamer01/sma_test_smaller01.mp4

The thing with the wrinkles is that they move in an inorganic manner. This sort of movement means that you don't have to mimic exactly, the original movement with the insert object. Inserting objects into a scene where the background movement is more ordered is actually much more difficult.

You should of course use the wrinkles as the source for your Displacement Map (FreeForm AE is a good displacement mapper) effect.

Mocha is of course ideal for such tracking jobs. Just remember that Mocha doesn't track planar space. That's what folks say but that is incorrect. Mocha tracks textures on individual planes is a more precise definition of what Mocha actually does.

So, Mocha tracks textures and the texture has to be apparent on a planar space.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:53:05 am

I just wanted to add, for completeness, that a texture cane be defined as either a pattern or a shape. Hence, the corners of a planar surface that has insufficient patterned information (such as a TV) for Mocha to track, its corners (shape) can be used as a tracking feature for Mocha.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Greg Lowery
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:26:08 pm

The T-shirt Tracking is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have a tutorial for this or is there any way you can explain to me how you did this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:05:32 am

Eran Stern has done a tutorial on tracking a t-shirt although he doesn't use markers, you should be able to follow along.

FWIW, the addition of markers allows for a tighter track under most circumstances. It does however add to the difficulty level as you will then have to remove the markers. In my example, my markers were about 30-50% larger than I would have liked.

For you, the existing number and name can act as natural markers. You will need to know how to use the Clone tool to remove them. Todd has an excellent tutorial on using the Clone tool to remove markers. Perhaps you can perform a COWSearch for it.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]