FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace footage function is moving the layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gerard
Replace footage function is moving the layer
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:22:14 pm

I am trying to replace a QT movie in a sequence with a different clip using the OPTION (ALT) + Drag method. Problem arises because the TC in the clips are different, so the new clips skooches down in the timeline to a different spot. Sometimes its a few seconds, sometimes its a few hours. Then I have to manually reposition the clip, move all the keyframes and trim it again. Is there any way to get AE to ignore the TC in the new clip?

Thanks!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Stefan Hinze
Re: Replace footage function is moving the layer
on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:38:42 pm

hey,
it´s just a gues: i´d would try to precomp the clip - then set the compSettings to match the destination-comp, then alt-drag.

i would be interested to hear if it works!

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:56:25 pm

No problem:
  • Duplicate the layer to be replaced in the timeline.
  • Use the Replace Footage command on the duplicated layer.
  • Highlight the original layer, hit the i (for In point) key to move the timeline cursor to the proper in point.
  • Highlight the layer with the replaced footage, hit the [ (left bracket) key to move the layer's in point to the timeline cursor's position.
  • Delete the now-unnecessary original layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Aug 11, 2011 at 1:17:50 pm

Hey all, I didn't try the precomp thing, as I didn't want to get into precomps for these simple sequences.

Dave- This trick worked for the most part, the only problem is that the keyframes are locked relative to the layer, so when I hit the left bracket to move the layer to the correct time on the timeline, the keyframes would slide out of sync. So, to fix that, after I moved the new layer to the correct time, I put the playhead at the first keyframe of the old layer, hit u to expose the keyframed properties of the new layer, highlighted the properties, then hit command X then command V to cut then paste the keyframes to the correct time in the seq. Worked slick.

Then I got smart and created a new comp, copied and pasted all the stuff from the old comp into the new one, and I was able to replace the footage properly without going through all the above BS. It was something in the comp that was goofing it up.

Sheesh...

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]