FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render better with After effects than Adobe Media Encoder?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Anguiano
Render better with After effects than Adobe Media Encoder?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:01:26 pm

I've done rednering test with both after effects and media encoder and I found that after effects renders perfect and at its superb quality and media encoder messes witht he colors and pixels... my question is why??? whats the point of media encoder if it renders crap? Through my experience after effects is by far the best program to encode videos..

-SERG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render better with After effects than Adobe Media Encoder?
on Aug 5, 2011 at 8:14:45 pm

The codecs to which you render make a BIG difference in image quality. Since you don't talk about them, it's difficult to respond to your comments.

It also makes a difference how you use Adobe Media Encoder. If you give it a file that's already highly-compressed from After Effects, then it makes another highly-compressed file, there will be a lot of image degradation. If, on the other hand, you give it a lossless file from AE, it results in a much better job.

PS: H.264 is a very popular example of a highly-compressed codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 5, 2011 at 9:24:11 pm

media encoder can render comps, and you'd think it could compress them better than ae...

however, i'm still pretty old-school when it comes to stuff like this.

i like my renders to render and my compression utilities to compress... i always render from ae to something uncompressed, losslessly compressed, or at least to a lightly compressed codec that only use intraframe compression -- i've done photo-jpeg, prores and dnxhd... maybe a few times to dvcpro hd.

for any codecs that can do interframe frame (or temporal) compression -- this would include mpeg-2, h.264, hdv, etc. -- i would only use a compression utility like media encoder.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 6, 2011 at 3:19:20 am

Kevin's recommendation is the same as mine:

Render a losslessly encoded master out of After Effects. Let Adobe Media Encoder handled the compression of that into delivery codecs. AME watch folders are great for making this process automatic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Sergio Anguiano
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:26:15 pm

ok this is what i tested.. i did a video project in AE and rendered it out to photo-jpeg.. looks Great! I did another video project in premiere pro and sent it to media encoder and exported it out photo-jpeg.. looks good but the quality of the render from AE is way better as far as color goes.. I used dynamic link to export the premiere project in AE and it looks great.. my question is why when i export from Media encoder does it not do as great job as AE?

-SERG

Return to posts index

Ian Dillon
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:58:05 pm

Do you recommend render high rez broadcast versions in Media Encoder, or just compressed type versions? In the past I have done high rez versions in After Effects so I am new to Media Encoder and the newer adobe workflow.

Thanks
Ian

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 Card

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 6, 2011 at 10:05:38 pm

All previously give advice will help you. However to get a specific answer you need to give more info- like Dave mentioned.
I did render out comps using Encoder to .flv and .f4v using the presets and I got great results with no shift in color. However if I have the time I always do the uncompressed in AE, compress in Encoder...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mark Likosky
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:42:16 pm

I am now trying to render out footage from the Canon 5d Mark iii in AE CS6 on a macbook pro.

I'm having trouble with the Creative Cloud. Media Encoder keeps losing the connection so I'm trying AE again. Going to compare h.264 from AE vs lossless AE to H.264 in ME.

One thing I wish I could do is continue to work in AE while rendering- which is what I liked about Media Encoder.
Any suggestions on this workflow?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]