FORUMS: list search recent posts

what am i doing wrong? AE freezes :L

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
what am i doing wrong? AE freezes :L
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:39:48 pm

CS5 Mac Pro 16gb of RAM, 3TB array, OS X 10.6.
Can't handle my simple project - AE keeps freezing up.

I got a Rotoscoping pre-comp ( I froze the frames, so shouldn't be slowing the system down )
and a trapcode form layer.

Everytime I'm trying to key in trapcode values, it's propagading in the background and I have to wait for a few minutes just to see the frame in the preview window and once an hour AE freezes and I have to force quit and many times lose unsaved work. It's day 2 of this nightmare. I tried pre-rendering the rotoscoping comp ( ProRes 422 ) but it was asking for 14 hours and I got a deadline.

What am I doing wrong? Open GL and Multiprocessing are both off. Plenty of free space on the drive.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: what am i doing wrong? AE freezes :L
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:46:22 pm

[Johnny Smith] "I got a Rotoscoping pre-comp ( I froze the frames, so shouldn't be slowing the system down )"

Um, does this mean you've got AE v. 10+, and you're using Rotobrush?
Did you read up on using it & watch the training videos on the Adobe web site, or did you decide to use it intuitively?
If you try using Rotobrush intuitively, it's a very, very bad thing. Very bad. Too many ways to make mistakes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:52:15 pm

Yes sir, rotobrush.
AE Version 10.0058.
Watched all available videos several times.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:13:51 pm

Like when I tried to render out the entire project ( 4 min long ), it asked for 37 hours to render. Is it normal to wait that long and keep the machine running or is that crazy? I'm at 1920 x 1080. It would really suck to get an error message after 2 days of downtime.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:43:27 am

What are your render settings? Have you applied anything other than the roto brush?

For 4 minutes this seems excessively long. Is this 29.97 or 59.94 ?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jul 20, 2011 at 2:57:40 am

29.97. I duplicated the rotobrush layer twice with different color corrections, so it's calculating it 3 times. There's also a trapcode form layer ( applied to the background ). Render settings: Best, ProRes 422. Didn't change any other settings. Right now it's telling me only 59 hours left :) Should I wait? Really need to send this out to the client asap.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 20, 2011 at 5:36:45 am

Can you render out a single pass of the Roto and use the rendered file to for the CC layers. If you're calculating the Roto 3 times, that's significant.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:21:37 pm

Have you thought about updating to version 10.0.2? The updates to 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 fixed a lot of problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:16:27 pm

I have thought about it, but at this moment i'm thinking about what to do about the current pre-render status of the roto brush pre-comp. After nine hours it went from 4 hours remaining to 98 hours and 51 min remaining. And it's not rendering a single frame. Looks like it's frozen again. 73% of 16GB of RAM currently in use. After Effects i hate you. What could I be possibly doing wrong? It was moving along at a decent pace.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:26:32 pm

I'm sorry, I don't have enough Roto Brush experience to really help.
I do know that there's no reason to calculate it more than once. Next time, put it in a precomp and use the precomp as a track matte for any other layers where you need it. (Or, even better, prerender.)

Do you have a lot of corrective strokes? A lot of really long spans? I'm guessing here.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:30:49 pm

enabled multiprocessing, messed with its settings after watching todd's vid/articles and rendered in 3 hours :) I'm guessing if i upgrade to a vid card that can support open GL and I enable open GL it'll render even faster.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:37:16 pm

[Johnny Smith] "I'm guessing if i upgrade to a vid card that can support open GL and I enable open GL it'll render even faster."

Sorry, but guess again. There are very, VERY few instances when Open GL speeds rendering. Less than 1 in 100 times does it help. About 75% of the time, it'll screw up renders. Adobe employees don't use Open GL when they render. Fast processors and lots of RAM will do far more good.

If your only reason to get a better card is to speed AE rendering, save your money and get something else.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:58:34 am

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

David Biederbeck
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:57:34 am