FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering for both 24p and 50i

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Barry
Rendering for both 24p and 50i
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:01:34 pm

Hi there,
I've searched about for this but haven't found (so far) a similar post - but apologies in advance if this has already been explained.

I have a bunch of animations in After Effects that use no imported video, just still images and basically I need to output for both 1280 x 720 at 24p and also PAL 576i (unfortunately!) 25 fps.

I've only recently become aware of the project requirement of needing the 576i, so I have most of it done on timelines animated at 24 fps in AE.

My question is: can I just use a custom frame rate in the render settings for the 25 fps output and set the field render, or do I have to duplicate every comp (including precomps) and set these to 25 fps?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Rendering for both 24p and 50i
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:14:36 pm

you should be able to drop the 24p compin to a 25 fps and then set the render settings to field render to make it 25i.

all keyframed animations in the 24p comp(s) will get re-interpolated and will look smooth.

if there was any footage/pre-rendered material, then there would be a slight glitch in that material about once every second... an option in that case could be to import the 24p render back into ae and use the interpret footage settings to simply conform the 24p frame rate to 25 fps drop that into a new comp and render. the result would be a slightly different duration, and the frames would be progressive, but it would play fine as as 25i.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Will Barry
on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:25:44 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think to drop the comps into new 25fps comps - I'll try both and see how it goes. I did do some tests and couldn't visibly see any problems, but I just thought I might ask in case anyone knew of any 'gotchas' because I don't have external video monitoring and I don't want a cranky editor getting back to me with complaints about the exports ;)

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:19:21 pm

[Will Barry] "can I just use a custom frame rate in the render settings for the 25 fps output and set the field render"

I'm pretty sure you can do that. Did you try it?

Be sure to scan through the 25fps render to look for anomalies, especially if you're using any hold keyframes and/or motion blur, which can exhibit unexpected behavior in these situations.

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
on May 2, 2012 at 6:37:38 am

Hi
To do this properly, I would make the original comp 50 frames per second.
Put this in a 25fps timeline and render with fields.
That way you get all the information for all the fields.

If you just render a 25 frames per second comp with fields, I think it will still be stuttery. You have to check client will accept this.

Tris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]