FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing 5.5 over 5.0 - Plugins?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi
Installing 5.5 over 5.0 - Plugins?
on Jun 17, 2011 at 4:50:19 pm

Hi guys. =] Before making this upgrade,
I would like to get free of some fears, mostly about the stability of my machine.

I have After Effects CS5 installed on my workstation, and there are installed many plugins,
some of them that have been also installed trough executable files.

How can I upgrade my program without losing all these installations? How can I "migrate" the various licenses without making harm to the register, folders, or anything that could indeed give me problems? I already experienced some issues after installing a new Adobe Program, since now I have both Bridge CS5.0 and 5.1 (so actually version 4 and 4.1 of the program) on my machine, same goes for Media Encoder CS5.0 and 5.5.

Any advice, or hint about how to move in this ground?
Thanks in advance for any support guys,
I hope to be able to give back usefulness to the community, as soon as I can. =]

"Cinetica Video" post-producer.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Installing 5.5 over 5.0 - Plugins?
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:54:40 pm

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/05/you-do-not-need-new-versions-of-...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Jun 18, 2011 at 10:36:47 am

Thanks a lot, but my question was a little different in some particulars. I do have AE CS5 on my workstation, so I'm worried about what will happen when I will disinstall it to replace it with the new 5.5 version. I have no doubts my Plugs will work, but Will I lose the ones I had and I'll have to re-install them? It's not a real problem, but I'm actually worried, indeed, about duplicates and stability between having CS5 and 5.5 both on the same OS, HDD and laptop.

Anyway, you've been of great help, thanks. ;°

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:57:31 pm

What Todd said!

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:03:04 pm

Thanks a lot, but my question was a little different in some particulars. I do have AE CS5 on my workstation, so I'm worried about what will happen when I will disinstall it to replace it with the new 5.5 version. I have no doubts my Plugs will work, but Will I lose the ones I had and I'll have to re-install them? It's not a real problem, but I'm actually worried, indeed, about duplicates and stability between having CS5 and 5.5 both on the same OS, HDD and laptop.

Anyway, you've been of great help, thanks. ;°

EDIT: sorry for the double-post, but to add some kind of post scriptum, in the opening post I said that actually having some new 5.5 software now I have duplicates of Media Encoder and Bridge, is this ok? Can cause some issues? Any solution? Thanks again, guys.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:01:49 pm

> I'm worried about what will happen when I will disinstall it to replace it with the new 5.5 version

Why would you uninstall the CS5 version? I recommend leaving it. I have CS3, CS4, CS5, and CS5.5 versions on the same computers.

The point of the article that I pointed you to is that, yes, you do need to make sure that you have installed your plug-ins where the CS5.5 software can see them. I gave a couple of ways to do that: install duplicate copies in the CS5.5 plug-in directories or create an alias pointing from the CS5.5 plug-ins directories to the CS5.5 plug-in directories.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Michele Poggi
on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:03:05 pm

Wow.. Thanks, this thing actually lighted my mind. Sadly, because of my hurry, I have uninstalled the CS5 programs I have upgraded to 5.5 before re-install them, but if you say so, it means that having multiple versions indeed does not make the stability or performance suffer. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]