FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mocha Pro Remove Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Leo
Mocha Pro Remove Problem
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:24:30 am

I am using the trial version of Mocha Pro, and I tried using the remove module to remove objects. First, I made a shape of the background that would replace the object, turned perspective on, then tracked it. Next I tracked the object that I want to remove. I made sure the object track was on top of the background track. I went to the remove tab, selected the object track, then clicked render forwards. The object didn't disappear, the video just played with the object still there. Please help! Thank you! :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Mocha Pro Remove Problem
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:28:48 am

Unfortunately I haven't installed my version of MochaPro. I suggest that you visit their COW Forum for a more productive response.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:22:45 am

Alrighty! Finally installed my copy of MochaPro (many thanks to Ross Shain and the kind folks at Imagineer Systems) and checked out the Remove Module.

You seem to have gone through the necessary steps but I suggest that you first track the foreground object before the background. When tracking the background, switch off the tracking icon for the foreground track that you just performed.

When both layers are tracked, ensure that the foreground (object) layer is above the background layer and select the foreground layer. Then click on the appropriate Render button.

The online doc for the Remove Module is right here - http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/remove-overview

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Ian Leo
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:29:24 am

Thanks for replying, but it still doesn't work :( But thanks SOOO much for replying anyway, I appreciate it sooo much! :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:28:37 am

Well, it should work. Did you ensure that both layer's Track Icon (below Layer Controls) are switched on when you're in the Remove Module?

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ian Leo
on Jun 2, 2011 at 1:38:14 pm

Apparently, it still doesn't work. May you please explain all the steps to removing an object? I may have missed out some steps. Also, do I have to turn the perspective on when tracking the background? Thank you!!! :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:16:47 am

Hi Leo, it looks like you asked the same question a few months back.

The steps you delineated in your earlier post seems correct except that you may have left one of the layer's track icon switched off before clicking one of the remove module's render buttons.

FWIW, it's best to click on the single frame render button to ensure that you can get a single clean frame before committing to a multiple frame render in the remove module.

As to whether perspective should be switched on, it really depends on the footage you have. I suggest that you go through the excellent tutorials on the Imagineer site to get a better feel when working with different types of footage.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE Training in South East Asia.

Return to posts index

Andy Haas
on Dec 6, 2012 at 3:14:26 pm

did you fix the problem?
I have the same problem and didn't find a solution.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:35:32 pm

The steps appear correct. A few notes:

If you don't have a good solid background track, you most likely see artifact errors in the remove.

If the clean frames do not exist in the clip (for example the camera is not moving enough OR the remove object is so close to the background the clean areas do not exist in the shot) you will have to provide the remove module with some clean frames (usually painted or cloned in Photoshop).

Your best bet is to watch all the Remove Module tutorials on Imagineers web site and contact support if still having issues.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Rikk Wolf
on Jun 19, 2015 at 12:19:28 am

Would like to know if you found a solution? Having the same issues.

I have meticulously followed numerous video tutorials and my foreground object REFUSES to vanish in rendering.

Obviously, I'm missing something.

Can anyone elaborate on what this "tracking icon" looks like exactly? I don't see anything I would call a "tracking icon" under Layer Controls.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jun 19, 2015 at 2:21:03 pm

The tracking icon looks like a small gear and is in the Layers list on upper left.

If you have watched a lot of Remove Tutorials and are still not getting expected results, I would recommend contacting Imagineer support team here:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/contact-support/

Again I will state these points:

If you don't have a good solid background track, you most likely see artifact errors in the remove.

If the clean frames do not exist in the clip (for example the camera is not moving enough OR the remove object is so close to the background the clean areas do not exist in the shot) you will have to provide the remove module with some clean frames (usually painted or cloned in Photoshop).

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Rikk Wolf
on Jun 19, 2015 at 9:03:01 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply on this old thread, Ross.

Ah, I thought that's what it was. I find it generally referred to as the "processing icon". Thank you for clarifying.

I actually do have over 25 frames of perfect clean plate background contained within the shot. This was a very controlled piece intended for rig removal on a puppet. Camera locked down, etc.

Do you think if I were to import a .tif of the clean background and specify it as the clean plate it might help? I feel maybe I'm missing something when actually tracking the background (and I am of course making sure to layer it BELOW the foreground subject).

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jun 22, 2015 at 2:25:19 pm

If your camera is locked down and you have a clean plates that locks up, do you really need the remove module? It could be as simple as using some roto-masks.

But yes, if you have a clean plate, it can help the Remove Module do its thing.

You might be having issues because the bg is locked down. Even if the bg is locked down, mocha needs to have a track on the bg remove layer.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Rikk Wolf
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:39:19 pm

"If your camera is locked down and you have a clean plates that locks up, do you really need the remove module?"

Oh, most definitely.

The puppet goes through a lot of complex motions and I can tell from watching the tracker module do its thing, it will save hours of tedious work. Also, if we're being honest, I'm not exactly a virtuoso when it comes to manual roto masking.

There's also some slight lightning inconstancies we couldn't have noticed on our monitors that I was hoping the Illumination Model would smooth over.

Does the tracking of the background have to be tracked through all the frames that the removal needs to be done? I attempted to do this but the background tracking keeps getting disturbed and thrown off by the puppet's movements. My clean frames are frames 1 - 25 or so before the puppet and its rig enter the shot and that's what I've been tracking.

Anyway, for at lest this shot I cut and paste the mask track data back into After Effects and was able to move on. I had to do another clean plate ON TOP of the portions with lighting issues, though.

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:41:45 pm

You do need a track on the bg clip even if the clip is locked down to get a successful remove.

There is an easy workaround for this that requires "the manual tracking" button in mocha Pro, but if you are not an advanced user, I hesitate to mention this.

If you want to share the clip with the team. perhaps we can help solve and create a tutorial?
http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/contact-support/

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jun 24, 2015 at 6:07:50 pm

Here is a newer mocha Pro Remove Module video tutorial that may be useful to people who come across this thread:

This short and clean video covers how to use mocha Pro and Photoshop to remove a lavalier mic from an actor. Since there is no footage of the actor without the mic, 1 frame is painted in Photoshop and mocha Pro does the perspective and lighting matching.

Enjoy

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]